VMware Cloud Community
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Changing VM port group vCenter shows nic is connected to the old and new portgroup

Ok I have built/upgraded to vSphere 5.

All is going fine and now we are migrating the VM’s to the new VDS switches.

I am migrating each VM frm the old VSS to their relevant port group on the VDS.

ALL is going great except I have a few VM’s that when I change from VSS Port Group “Virtual Machine Network” to the new VDS “Virtual Machine Network” vCenter shows the VM as being connected to both vSwitches/PortGroups.

If you look at the Host configuration/Network the VM is shown as attached to the VSS and VDS.

If you use the PowerShell cli the VM shows as connected to only the VDS, great it is successful, but how can I remove the old switch if it thinks it is connected to a VM??

The VM’s do not loose network connectivity.

I have also tried changing the portgroup via the PS CLI and this returns the same result in vSphere.

Any thoughts?

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Were these VMs running of an active snapshot when they were migrated from VSS to VDS?

If so, both might be listed in the VM properties... In case you were to revert the snap on those VMs, they will then be reconnected to the old VSS..

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Were these VMs running of an active snapshot when they were migrated from VSS to VDS?

If so, both might be listed in the VM properties... In case you were to revert the snap on those VMs, they will then be reconnected to the old VSS..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos