VMware Cloud Community
dropadrop
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changes made in VI hanging

I've recently encountered a problem with Virtual Infrastructure. Often changes I make to virtuals hang with "in progress", but don't seem to proggress. I have to restart the whole server running VI so they go through. It does not seem to make a difference what host the virtuals are on, if it's a fully idle or fairly loaded host that is.

I have VI installed on a virtual on top of VmWare Server. Operating system is XP, and the machine seems to be idle most of the time.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you using VC for VMWare Server?

How many resources assigned to it?

0 Kudos
dropadrop
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, forgot about this Smiley Happy

I'm using VI3, only for ESX 3 servers. I have a cluster of 2 servers, and 5 stand alone servers with Standard Edition licenses. VC is running on a Vmware Server virtual with 1 cpu and 2GB memory allocated, and it seems to be pretty idle (the Vmware Server hosting it is not close to full memory or cpu usage).

edit:

All togeather the 7 hosts are running about 20 virtuals (some of them are not running any virtuals yet).

Message was edited by:

dropadrop

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

How is disk space on your VC server? Is your DB out of space?

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

what kind of virtual disks in the virtual Virtual Center Server ?

Persistent?

0 Kudos
dropadrop
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The disk is persistent and preallocated. There is plenty of space on the database machine and it's practically idle.

I'm getting this problem again now when trying to consolidate snapshots. Occasionally it's doing it, or then it's giving timeout messages. If it gives timeout messages it might have consolidated the snapshot (at least they are gone) or then it has not done anything. This is an especially scary scenario as I'm afraid it might actually break something.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It could be a temporary problem.

Which db type (MSDE)?

Which db size?

Try a full backup this will truncate the transaction logs too and could solve.

Are DB set for automatic growth?

0 Kudos