VMware Cloud Community
KKrtz
Contributor
Contributor

Change guest OS

Hello.

In my environment with vCSA 5.1.0a (I don't know if it also not working in 5.1.0) I am not able to change the guest OS on a later timepoint. The option is greyed out!

It's indepent from which type of OS or hardware version you want to change...

Does anybody also have this issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

even if the guest is powered off?  You should be able to adjust these settings while the guest is in a powered off state,  You are referring to the guest OS version, correct?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

After testing this a bit, it appears you cannot make this change using the vSphere Web Client.  However, using the vSphere Client, you are able to make the changes.  With that said, the VM still needs to be powered down.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I don't know why VMware did this, but according to Select a Guest Operating System

Beginning  with vSphere 5.1, you cannot change the guest operating system after you create  the virtual machine. ...

André

0 Kudos
KKrtz
Contributor
Contributor

It's not an bug it's an feature???

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

he still should be able to edit the vmx's guestOS I think

or is that gone

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately it looks like this. I cannot really think of a reason for it, except for avoiding issues with reconfigured VM's with an unsupported virtual hardware configuration!?

André

0 Kudos
KKrtz
Contributor
Contributor

Technican from VMware wrote me this article (which is not reachable at this moment) ...

"Cannot change the guest operating system selection of a virtual machine" http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2020801

It seems to be an bug ...

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The KB article is available now and confirms what I thought. It's mostly about avoiding issues with the virtual hardware.

André

0 Kudos
michaelstump
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What about an in-place upgrade of a VM's OS? Like it or not, this does happen in production environments, especially those looking for a quick way to get rid of aging Windows servers. Looks like under 5.1, you can have a VM running a newer OS although the VM is tagged with an older version.

Data Center Virtualization with VMware - theeagerzero.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I absolutely agree with you and I would really like to see some kind of a "Change Guest OS" wizard which takes care of the required modifications.

André

0 Kudos
KKrtz
Contributor
Contributor

We will see in which release it will be fixed!

0 Kudos