VMware Cloud Community
jstruve
Contributor
Contributor

Centralized licenses and virtual center not licensing

I am working on trying to license all of the products that we have purchased. We have 3 esx 3.5 enterprise hosts and virtual center to manage them. We have been using the evaluation of virtual center while the hosts have been licensed for awhile but we have recently purchased VCenter license. So I have gone online and deleted the previous license that was just for the hosts. I have created the new license file that has 1 instance for vcenter and 6 for the processors. I then saved this new lic file in the licenses folder on the license server and to make sure that i was not using the wrong file i deleted the previous lic file. I went through the process of stopping the server, starting the server and then rereading the lic file (all in the license server tools area). I then restarted both the vmware license server service and the vmware virtualcenter service.

After doing all that i went into VIC and clicked administration at the top and i then one of the top two options(sorry cant log in right now and am drawing a blank on exactly what i clicked) in this section i could then uncheck to use the eval of virtualcenter. I do that and type in the ip of of license server and click ok. This is where my problem is...i get a message saying that there are no licenses available. After getting this i checked to see if the hosts were licensed and they were but not virtualcenter.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what i might be doing wrong??

There was one thing i was thinking while heading home. There are 3 esx 3.5 hosts but we also have 1 esxi server that was just being used as a test before getting the esx hosts. The esxi was not in the lic file that i created would that have any effect on this?

Sorry cant attach any files as i am home and dont have access to the enviroment right now but will later

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

First, be sure that your license server is working fine with the right licenses.

Open (from Start Menu) the VMware License Server Tool.

Go in Server Status Tab e click on Perform Enquiry.

If it works you must see your licenses.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
jstruve
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. I did what you said and made sure that things were all working ok. After doing that i tried it again and no go. As i mentioned at the end of my post there was a test esxi that was in vcenter before trying to license vcenter. I removed the esxi and the licensing worked just fine, so the esxi will just be self managed.

Thanks again for the response

0 Kudos