VMware Cloud Community
Mercutio879b
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Caught up on SSO registration

WHen we initially installed vCenter, we didn't have an SQL server. We do now, so I'm migrating the DB to the new server. Well, trying to. I followed the instructions, and the DB is running on the new server, and the initial reinstall of vcenter seemed to go okay, right up until Orchestrator started installing. It sat there for an hour, until I got fed up and killed the install. (Probably a bad move) I rebooted and tried to reinstall, but the install program says that it's already registered to the SSO server and won't go any further. What next?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you are trying Vcenter 5.1 Update 1, theres a known issue of Orchestrator hanging during install.

To work around this issue, end one of the vCenter Orchestrator processes in the Windows Task Manager. The vCenter Server installer completes successfully afterward.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com

View solution in original post

14 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

IF YOU CAN, try to uninstall SSO also and clear its database (defaults to local SQL Express also). This will not touch VC data (which you already have in your other DB server). Check if this will work.

Also, please validate the SQL server version you are using is supported for the version of vCenter you have: VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes

Marcelo

twitter: @mtsoares42

Marcelo Soares
Mercutio879b
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

THanks, that validates what I was already doing. Everything is reinstalling now, will report back.

0 Kudos
Mercutio879b
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter has been installing Orchestrator for about 45 mins now. I'm not going to kill it, but it does seem odd...

0 Kudos
Mercutio879b
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So it's been almost 2 hours sitting on 'Installing Orchestrator'... Any advice? Should I just blow away the VM and start over?

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you are trying Vcenter 5.1 Update 1, theres a known issue of Orchestrator hanging during install.

To work around this issue, end one of the vCenter Orchestrator processes in the Windows Task Manager. The vCenter Server installer completes successfully afterward.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
Mercutio879b
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you know which one? I tried killing one of them, and it threw an error, then rolled the action back. I'll try the other.

0 Kudos
Mercutio879b
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Got it. I found the KB Article. 'On systems with insufficient performance'?!? Umm, no.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hmm.. the kb doesnt seem to say which one:

VMware KB: Installing or upgrading to vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1 stalls indefinitely at vCenter Orc...

You may also try disabling UAC and then installing.

Regards

Girish

0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Girish,

In my case killing the task kills the installer and nothing continues.  Upon a reboot ALMOST all vCenter services including SSO are started.  I can get into vCenter and manage my host.  However, I noticed Profile Driven Storage in not in the services and it's not there because after killing the installer it does not continue.  Finding the Profile Driven Storage Installer and running it manually reports back with vCenter must be installed first?  It off course is.  Seems like a "Catch 22".

By the way this is for  vSphere 5.1.1a

Tom

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Tom,

Was your install stuck at Orchestrator install or at the Profile Driven Storage install? Can you try launching the vcenter installer again? i remember reading somewhere that the installer is supposed to install the missing Profile Driven storage.. not sure though.

Regards

Girish

0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, stuck at Orchestrator.  See screenshot for error when re-running the installer.

Screenshot 2013-05-27 at 1.44.45 PM.png

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting - even though vCenter is working, service is started it does NOT show up as a registered program in control panel.  So Profile driven storage will not install because vCenter is not registered as installed?

Screenshot 2013-05-27 at 2.04.03 PM.png

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
Mercutio879b
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same problem with the SSO install. You'll need to uninstall all the services and reinstall from scratch. One of the Orchestrator installs does kill the entire install, the other worked fine for me.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hmm. there should be a better way to identify which process to kill (killing one process randomly doesn't seem to work that well if you kill the wrong process).

Mercutio879b,

Did you notice anything different about the processes?

Regards

Girish

0 Kudos