Testdrive2009
Contributor
Contributor

Cant install VCenter as domain administrator

Hello,

i cant get the installation of the VCenter Server 4.1 to work

Environment:

Windows Server 2008 R2 in our domain

External Microsoft SQL Server 2008 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 which is in our Domain

Login to Database over Windows Authentication

Now if got the Problem, that the installation of the VCenter Server fails with 25003 Cannot create repository

ok somewhere i found that it could be that the VCenter Server login doesnt match the Domain User...

This is possible cause im not able to change the USER for the VCenter service. When i come to this point in the installation the usename is grey nad in the field is: ( Administrator ) so i cant change it and the password i have to type in is the password of the local administrator and not the one of the domain administrator

Why i cant change the user the VCenter Service should use to get started ?

thx in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Testdrive2009
Contributor
Contributor

ok perhaps i should say that both are new Installations so no upgrade from an older version or reuse of an old database can cause the issue

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Have you tried the running the install using Run as Adminstrator?

Kind regards,

Glen

0 Kudos
Testdrive2009
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thanks for your answer yes I tried this also.

I managed to install the VCenter by changing the Authentication - Method on the SQL Server to SQL Authentication.

After the Installation i changed the account who is starting the vsphere server to our Domain Administrator and the ODBC DSNs, changed the SQL Server Authentication back to Windows and restartet the vsphere services

Now all seems to work fin

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved thread to vCenter forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, 2010

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos