VMware Cloud Community
nxion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot use "Launch Console" from the VMware Web Client on a Mac

I recently upgraded my vCenter Appliance and my ESXi host to 5.5. When I did that i noticed I could now install the client integration plugin on my mac. It is nice that I can upload files from my mac but I noticed that if I try to launch the console for a virtual machine I get a error that this page cannot be displayed, I tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome from my Mac and it does not work. It does work from Windows. So it it a case that it half works or could there be something else wrong.

Is anyone else using a Mac to access the web client for vCenter? I am very curious to know if It is a case that this is a big or I just get half the functionality since I am on a Mac.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
akodenkiri
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hope you are not facing the issue mentioned in following KB.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=206060...

Regards

Akash

---------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards ak
0 Kudos
jmeal80
Contributor
Contributor

We are having the same problem. Windows Chrome clients are able to launch the virtual console from the web client. No browsers on the Mac platform, Chrome/Firefox work at all. there are no java errors in the vsphere logs. This is for OS x 10.9 DP8 as well as 10.8.1-5.

0 Kudos
nxion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I tried the KB that was suggested on the second poster. When you edit the file in question and add the line they want you to add. Save and close the file then restart the service. The web client was broken. All I got was a blank screen. I modified the file and returned it back to what was the default and restarted the service and then I could "Launch Console" from Firefox, Safri, Chrome all from 10.9 and 10.8.

SO the "fix" was not a fix. I dont know what will happen f I reboot my vCSA but for not it works across all browsers on Mac and Windows.

0 Kudos
StuDuncan
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed. Reboot is the fix.

On a vCenter Server, not a VCSA, I had the same issue.  Windows clients & thick clients can access console, Mac clients can't.

A web services restart caused Mac clients to no longer be able to access the console. Instead they got a white page with bold red type saying "Directory: /console/" and underneath "WEB-INF/ 0 bytes <timestamp>"

Reboot the server, and suddenly all the Mac clients can see the console again.

0 Kudos
ITGuyChris
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problems launching the console window until I disabled popup blocking on Firefox & Safari. I'm running the latest releases of Safari, Chrome & Firefox on OS X 10.9.1.

0 Kudos