VMware Cloud Community
bovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot update to VC2.5u3

Hi,

Is it not possible to update from VC2.5u2 to VC2.5u3? Is a complete re-installation nessesary?

If I try to run the install is simply says: Product already installed. Please use Add/Remove programs in Control Panel to customize (or something close to that).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Rasmus

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hmmm...

Well, the biggest part to worry about is the VC database. Even if you uninstall the components you mentioned, as long as you keep your VC database intact, you should be alright.

That being said, I'd backup your database first, uninstall the older components, install the newer build, and make sure you don't "reinitialize" when you point to your existing VCDB. It should know to upgrade the DB schema.

Also, I upgraded my license service first. So I'm not sure if that is the determining factor.

As far as your Hosts go, you don't have to upgrade them first.

Typically, you upgrade VC first, then your Hosts, as the older VC build will not recognize newer host builds.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's strange. I did a 2.5U2 to 2.5U3 upgrade about a week ago at another job.

What are all the VMware Applications do you have installed on the target server?

Jase McCarty

0 Kudos
bovc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VC

VMware update

VMware converter

I should mention that the ESX servers has not been upgraded to U3, but that shouldn't make a difference?

/Rasmus

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hmmm...

Well, the biggest part to worry about is the VC database. Even if you uninstall the components you mentioned, as long as you keep your VC database intact, you should be alright.

That being said, I'd backup your database first, uninstall the older components, install the newer build, and make sure you don't "reinitialize" when you point to your existing VCDB. It should know to upgrade the DB schema.

Also, I upgraded my license service first. So I'm not sure if that is the determining factor.

As far as your Hosts go, you don't have to upgrade them first.

Typically, you upgrade VC first, then your Hosts, as the older VC build will not recognize newer host builds.

Jase McCarty

0 Kudos
alex555550
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hy,

use this tool to backup you`re DB MS SQL Manager