VMware Cloud Community
nav007x
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot log into VC - service keeps stopping

Hello all,

I've not been able to log into VirtualCenter 2.5 today and have noticed that everytime i start the virtualcenter server service, it stops. In the event viewer i get the following error message and need some help in finding out what it means.

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( VMware VirtualCenter Server ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: An unrecoverable problem has occurred, stopping the VMware VirtualCenter service. Check database connectivity before restarting. Error: Error[VdbODBCError] (-1) "ODBC error: (23000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_VPX_IP_ADDRESS'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.VPX_IP_ADDRESS'." is returned when executing SQL statement "INSERT INTO VPX_IP_ADDRESS (ENTITY_ID, DEVICE_ID, IP_ADDRESS) VALUES (?, ?, ?)".

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The VPX_IP_ADDRESS table stores the IP addresses of the ESX servers and VM's etc.

So it looks like that during startup it's doing a scan for IP information then trying to insert it into the table but failing because it already exists.

You need to try and identify which particular value is causing the failure.

Do you know if 2 VM's or Service Consoles etc have the same IP address? Have you changed any IP addresses recently?

On the VC server, open a command prompt and cd in the VC install dir, usually: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter server\

Once there, type the following command, which should eventually fail, then paste/attach the output: vpxd.exe -s

If the output scrolls too much you can redirect it to a text file: vpxd.exe -s > output.log

Message was edited by: appk

0 Kudos