VMware Cloud Community
dkleeman2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot install VirtualCenter in evaluation mode

I am trying to install VirtualCenter without a licence file or a key. I think that neither is required. When I get to step 2 of the install it asks me if I have a license server and offers to install one if I don't have one (I don't). There is a box to enter the path to the .lic file but I don't have one - how do I proceed? It will not accept an empty box.

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bridgepartners
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think that this could be your problem. I think that the eval only works with SQL Express running locally.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

During the setup, it should ask you about a lisense server or give you the option to install using an evaluation. You are installing VC 2.5.0u1?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

on that page there is a check box asking if you want install in evaluation mode - with it checked all those options will be grayed out -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Exactly, when you download the eval you will recieve a eval lic to enter.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I do not think there is any LIC file that is downloaded - it is all coded into the vc software allowing for a 60 day eval period

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dkleeman2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the several helpful answers, but there is definitely no checkbox on this page (step 2). I am using 2.5.0 build 84782.

Daniel

0 Kudos
dkleeman2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maybe this machine has a ghost of an old VC installation on it that I am not aware of. How could I tell if this is the case?

0 Kudos
williamarrata
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Your correct, but when you download the eval of the ESX servers, thats the lic file your going to install into the lic server with your VC.

Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Hope that helped. 🙂
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have you checked your services to see if there is any VMware services installed? You are using the most current build for VC and as part of the install process you should get the option to install as an evaluation.

dkleeman2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can proceed with the install if I give it a license file from elsewhere, but then (unsurprisingly) the VC server will not play ball and will not allow any hosts to be added. Nor will it go into eval mode from inside the interface. I am wondering if it thinks that this machine has an expired eval.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if that is the case, you may have to do some registry hacks... Or if nothing else is running on your server that you are going to install VC on, I would just rebuild it. Or if all else fails, you might call VMware support

One other thing.. Run the install for ESX as normal, it will by default give you a 60 day eval. You could always bring up a VM on a stand alone host and install VC in a VM

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I second reinstalling -

0 Kudos
dkleeman2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried the install on a completely separate box and I can see the check box for the eval. It does not appear on this server or another one that is similarly configured. They both have VMware Server installed - I don't know if this is relevant, but I think that I will have to give up on these servers unless someone knows what the missing ingredient is.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

Daniel

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

why not consider using a newly created VM as your VCMS? You have an ESX 3.5 host built? If so, deploy the VM and build the OS, the install VC fresh.

IMHO, do not install anything on the VCMS, expcept for VC, and it's plugins, minus Update Manager. Whether or not you use a physical or virtual machine, it should be a fresh OS install.

If we got all your questions answered, can you mark this thread as answered?

0 Kudos
dkleeman2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To close this question I would like to know what condition causes the server to not work in evaluation mode.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only time I have seen VC not work in evaluation mode is when the check box to run in evaluation is not checked -

0 Kudos
dkleeman2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This problem has now re-occurred on a completely clean build on a VM on a VMware Server host. It is becoming a major problem.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why are you trying to install VC on VMware Server? Please install VC on a clean Windows Server 2003 VM or hardware.

I think your issues are that you are trying to install VC ontop of an existing VMware product.

0 Kudos
dkleeman2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have installed it on a clean VM on a VMware Server host. This seems to be your advice above.

0 Kudos
bridgepartners
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you using the standalone SQL Express mode or a separate database?

0 Kudos