VMware Cloud Community
iclebyte
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot install VC 2.0 - KB816542

Morning all,

I'm trying to do an upgrade on VMware Virtual Center 2.0 on a Windows2000 SP4 server however it keeps bombing out with the error:

"Setup cannot continue 'The VMware CirtualCenter Server 2.0' requires Update 1 Rollup for Windows 2000 SP4. Please see KB article 816542 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816542".

Now we've applied Update 1 Rollup for Win2k SP4 however as far as I can tell kb816542 does not appear to be part of that update – apparently according to our Windows team its not even a publicly available hotfix, although they managed to acquire a copy for us however after applying it and performing a reboot we still get the same message from the installer. Now we run a standard stripped down build of Win2k as a company policy this could be causing the error, but we are basically at a loss now.

Is anyone able to tell us what exactly the installer checks for to verify that the KB816542 Hotfix has been applied? i.e. is there a registry key or something which we can manipulate manually to allow the installer to continue?

Any ideas appreciated

Regards.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander

I'd file a support call with VMware for it, that might be the fastest way.

On the other hand you could extract the MSI from the installer, then unpack the MSI with /a option and use a trail version of WyseSolutions to open up the MSI. But I think it is more as a lost resort.

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos
iclebyte
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for your quick reply Gabrie, I will file a support request with VMWare.

0 Kudos
c_henry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the same problem last night. Straight Win2k AS box with SP4 installed. I then installed all the updates using the MS Auto Update app and VC2.0.1 installed fine.

Pain though.

0 Kudos
Malagnini
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am also experiencing the same problem.

Have someone found the solution?

Thank you in advance

All the best

0 Kudos
jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am not sure why it is reporting that it needs that particular hotfix. It is an internal hotfix, and you need to call microsoft to get it.

Every time I have seen this error message it has been fixed by installing Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4. (It is actually a requirement as stated in the install guide is to have this package installed.)

You can download it from Windows Update or from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/rollup.mspx

0 Kudos
Malagnini
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Mr. McDonald,

I have already installed the Rollup 1 v2 for Windows2000 Server and yet the problem is not solved. I keep on getting the same message as the rollup was not installed.

I can't undestand if it is a Windows 2000 bug .... Virtual Center R2 bug ...

any idea?

Thank you

0 Kudos
jonhutchings
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you tried reapplying the Rollup 1 v2. I'd try downaloadign and reapplying it just in case

Otherwise I think your right, something that you have stripped out of the win2k install, which has therefore not been patched with the Rollup patch is being used by VC to detect the correct patch state so your systems is appearing unpatched. Only other thing I can suggest is to install a fresh, standard install of Windows 2k Server for this particular machine, get VC installed and then look to remove some of the unwanted stuff. Time consuming though.

0 Kudos
arnesi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, same problem here. Made a clean install of Win2k Advanced Server, installed all updates, got the KB816542, but VC 2.0.1 still requires Update Rollup 1 for SP4 and KB816542.

Cheers,

Bostjan

0 Kudos
rott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

just found another article with a working solution:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=513809&#513809

You just have to change the registry to make the setup work!

Michael

0 Kudos
SoL
Contributor
Contributor

The registry hack described in message 513809 worked for me. I was doing a fresh install of VC 2.0.2 on a new W2K SP4 with rollup 1 already installed when I encountered the error message being discussed here. The author of message 513809 said he was told that the issue would be fixed by VC version 2.0.2, but it clearly has not yet been fixed.

Thanks rott and best of luck to all.

0 Kudos