VMware Cloud Community
ccwhite
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot find license manager

We just bought vCenter Server and several vSphere licenses. When I put the codes into my trial vCenter server it tells me I need a license server. What I have not been able to find is the license server. I tried pointing it at itself, and that seem to take, but when I try to add hosts to my datacenter I now get

"Unable to acquire licenses because the license source is unavailable: The license manager has not been started yet, the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the port or host name in the license file has been changed"

Is there documentation on how to set up the 'license manager'? Doing searches I found plenty of refrences to .lic files, and to an (I have forgotten the exact name) VM-License.exe. But neither were part of the 60-trial download, and the threads were often for version 2.5.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
4 Replies
ccwhite
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I finally found it about 20 minutes ago.

The problem now is to install it you need a .lic file, which I don't have. So how do I get vCenter Server to handle my vSphere 4 hosts (which are licensed, and don't need license server) and my ESX free 3.5 hosts (32 bit machines force me to stay at 3.5), which require a license server?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you need to downgrade your VI3 licenses

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010533

ccwhite
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, I had just started that process. At first I thought it was an either/or situation, but read the license agreement and found out that I can split my licenses between versions.

Tks for the help

0 Kudos