VMware Cloud Community
getatme
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot create Resource Pools within VirtualCenter

I've imported some ESX host servers using the Wizard and when it came to the selection of Virtual Machine Resources, I selected Create a new resource pool for this virtual machines and resource pools.

Then once I added the host I moved all the imported resource pools to the root of the cluster.

My question, is I would like my resource pools to be hierarchy linked to each host that the VMs reside on. In other words, I would like to see 1st, host name, 2nd esx server name, 3rd resource pools and 4th Vms.

I cant move the resource pools underneath the ESX host nor can I create new resource pools underneath the ESX server. I would like to rearrange the layout of my resource pools and VMs within a cluster. Is that possible, and if so how?

Message was edited by: I have a screen print of the current layout, however I don't know how to attach it to this post.

getatme

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Let me restate, since adding my hosts servers to

clusters, I loose the ability to create resource

pools below the ESX servers, essentially resource

pools can no longer be child objects of hosts. I can

nest resource pools below a cluster and I can add

hosts to clusters, but no resource pools below hosts.

Is this true, or am I missing something.

That's correct. No resource pools below hosts that are cluster members...only resource pools below the clusters themselves (or below other resource pools).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think that resource pools are, by design, meant to be used within a cluster. They're "pools" of server hardware resources, implying that you've got more than 1 hardware resource to manage.

As far as arrangement goes, you can add your VMs to any resource pool and create hierarchical structures from there with parent/child resource pools. VMs can be members of a nested pool, the top level pool, etc. You can also make child pools with expandable reservations so that they can request more resources from their parent pool, or you can cap consumption of resources at certain amounts for non-production or heavy servers.

0 Kudos
Ty1on
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Let me restate, since adding my hosts servers to clusters, I loose the ability to create resource pools below the ESX servers, essentially resource pools can no longer be child objects of hosts. I can nest resource pools below a cluster and I can add hosts to clusters, but no resource pools below hosts. Is this true, or am I missing something.

0 Kudos
bjmoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Let me restate, since adding my hosts servers to

clusters, I loose the ability to create resource

pools below the ESX servers, essentially resource

pools can no longer be child objects of hosts. I can

nest resource pools below a cluster and I can add

hosts to clusters, but no resource pools below hosts.

Is this true, or am I missing something.

That's correct. No resource pools below hosts that are cluster members...only resource pools below the clusters themselves (or below other resource pools).

0 Kudos
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As BJ said, resource groups in the cluster are designed to work for all hosts. This is because the whole idea of a cluster is the pool the resources.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
Jonzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there

I get the same issue. I have vCenter 2.5 installed with a cluster containing 2 ESX 3.5 servers. I had originally created resource pools on the ESX servers prior to installing vCenter (which I can still see when I log in to the ESX dirtectly using VI. I can now not create a resource pools anywhere in vCenter. The choice is there under hosts and clusters but greyed out (see attached)!

5390_5390.JPG

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

If I remember correctly, you need DRS enabled to create a resource pool.

Joe

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
0 Kudos
jyvesd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If your ESX are sitting in a HA cluster only, you won't be able to create resource pools...

0 Kudos
Jonzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys. Looks like DRS is the issue. Although I have an ESX cluster set up, they hav not been connected to the SAN yet (the sort of thing you would naturally expect, I know) as the environment is just being built. Need to get SAN connectivity, then install DRS before I can create Resource Pools. Thanks again.

0 Kudos