vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Cannot connect to virtual machine via telnet

Posted Nov 09, 2012 12:14 PM

Hi all,

The virtual machine in the Vcenter is all fine with the network connection. I am able to ping the virtual machine remotely but I can't connect to it via telnet.

Any particular reason for the same? And morover I have even disabled the fiewalls of the Virtual machine (Windows 2008 R2).

The error says : Could not open connection to the host, on port 23 : Connect failed

Can you please let me know how to troubleshoot this issue?

• 2.  RE: Cannot connect to virtual machine via telnet
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 09, 2012 12:17 PM

Since there's nothing that blocks traffic to the VM's in ESXi, you may want to start troubleshooting in the guest OS itself. E.g. is the telnet server running and configured to accept connections?

André

• 3.  RE: Cannot connect to virtual machine via telnet

Posted Nov 09, 2012 12:22 PM

Hi,

as a.p. said it's no VMware problem. You should first make sure the telnet service runs on the Windows Server 2008 R2 (which will not be the case with a default installation, you will have to install and start it manually).

If that is the case use a network scan tool like nmap - www.nmap.org to scan the host to see if the port is really open or blocked by some firewall.

Also, did you open the port 23 in the windows firewall or just shut down the firewall service? You should only open the one port. Disabling the whole service has some other effects that might come into play here.

P.S. I've deleted your double post that got 0 replies.

Regards

• 4.  RE: Cannot connect to virtual machine via telnet

Posted Nov 09, 2012 06:26 PM

HI Nilopher25 ,

Please add the Teltnet service on your VM by defeault its not installed on windows7/win2k8 .

Go to setting -->control pannel -->Programs and Features-->Turn Windows Features on or off

-->select the telnet servcies and installed .

Thanks

• 5.  RE: Cannot connect to virtual machine via telnet

Posted Nov 09, 2012 06:27 PM

Windows 2008 telnet is NOT enabled (or installed) by default.  You have to use roles to install Telnet server, and enable remote access via telnet.

• 6.  RE: Cannot connect to virtual machine via telnet

Posted Nov 12, 2012 06:23 AM

Hi all,

Thank you all for the support and the answers. I rectified the issue. The port was not opened :smileyhappy: I'll be careful in future.

Regards,

Nilopher Forbes