VMware Cloud Community
Senniga20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot connect to vCenter 5 Appliance from vSphere client

Hi All,

I have been trying to get vCenter 5 appliance up and running, but I cannot connect to it

I downloaded the evaluations, and have been following the guide here http://vmwire.com/2011/07/15/vsphere-vcenter-server-linux-virtual-appliance-quick-start-guide/

All appears well on the appliance side; i have changed the network settings, and I have configured it to use an embedded database and I am now having issues connecting via the vSphere client.

I have stopped and stated vCenter from the status tab, and reboot the appliance too - all to no avail.

The error I get is:

vSphere Client could not connect to "xxxxxxxx".

An unkown connection error occurred. (The request failed because of

a connection failure. (Unable to connect to the remote server))

I have tried to connect with root and with Domain\user, but to no avail

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sen

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dtracey
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I'm yet to try the vCenter appliance myself, but have you looked at the simple stuff - like can you ping the appliance by IP address and hostname?

Is the VMs Virtual NIC connected to the right port group?  Are you using VLANs? Firewalling?

Can the client ping other hosts on the same subnet?

Can you connect using PowerCLI?

Dan

0 Kudos
Senniga20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can ping it, and I can connect to the web interface from a browser on another machine to configure it - which I have done, as far as I can tell. I have configured the embedded database, etc.

But I cannot connect to via the vSphere client.

I have now setup a traditional Windows vCenter 5 in my lab environment, and am ok to connect to that.

So I am a bit baffled why I can not connect to the vCSA.

Sen

0 Kudos
cadey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, I have just been playing around with this in my home lab and have found the same issue.

I installed the appliance with the default settings and powered up with no problems, i then changed the memory down to 1gb which i thought would be enough to run my home lab. however this appears not too be the case, i upped the ram to 4gb and it powered up and the error you were getting was resolved.

hope that helps

0 Kudos
carsontu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I meet the same issue. Yes, I can ping the appliance, I can connect via web, but cannot connect it via VI client. After I increase the memory of the appliance to 4GB, I still got the same error message, and couldn't connect...

0 Kudos
carsontu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My problem has been resolved. It was because vCenter service run very slow and wasn't able to start. After the vCenter started, I was able to connect it via VI client.

0 Kudos