VMware Cloud Community
rayan68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot connect to VM from Virtual Center

I have 4 ESX hosts in my VC , all of them under one cluster , after we change our gateway , I realize that I cannot connect to all Virtual Machines Console , so if I highlight the vm and click Console I got this massage , "Cannot connect to host X.X.X.X : a connection attempt failed bacause the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time , or established connection faild , etc...."

So I change all te gateways in all ESX hosts we have to point to the new gateway , and now I can connect to the VMs in 3 hosts , the 4th host still has the same problem although I change the gateway but still cannot connect to all VMs on it. if I Vmotion any VM in this host to other host , I can connect to this vm console , I also restart these services

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

service vmware-vmkauthd restart

Any Idea ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Port 903 needs to be open from VC to the ESX hosts. Or add the following to /etc/vmware/config

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy=TRUE

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Port 903 needs to be open from VC to the ESX hosts. Or add the following to /etc/vmware/config

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy=TRUE

0 Kudos
rayan68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually I can see in the security profile for this host port 903 and 902 both are open

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would guess that there is a firewall somewhere, but in any case if you add the line indicated to the /etc/vmware/config file and test access you should be able to access right away (No restarts of services) if it doesn't work you have a different problem.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From your ESX host, make sure you can ping your client machine, and the virtual center. When you connect a console, the client machine talks to ESX, and then ESX makes a connection back to the client machine to provide you the console view. When you changed your gateway, this broke which is why you received nothing. So, in this case, something is amiss about routing either to or from your esx host or to / from your client machine.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
rayan68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to identify the problem , I talk to VMware support and they tried everything I have tried before and nother work, the last step they recommend to reboot the host which I prefer to do it later. but they add the same line in config file , which basically force the VC to use TCP not UDP , this line originally have been recommended by one of our member , and the credit will go for him Smiley Happy

Thanks

0 Kudos