VMware Cloud Community
WABdave
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot add hosts to new vCenter Install

We have had a 40 hypervisor "free license" ESXi setup running for a while as we found it a great option for our Overpowered remote location servers that need little maintenance.  This allowed us to have a bit more expandability, etc.       This is the first time we've gone this route as until recently we were a bare metal shop, and we're just now moving some items to VM.

Recently we decided to update everything a new vCenter environment to allow a single point of entry for our Helpdesk/Desktop support groups to assist those locations, upgrade, motion if needed, etc.

As of today I built out our vCenter environment, and can get into the web console fine.  I created a data center for our remote branch locations, and attempted to add a host.   It took the IP fine, the ROOT logon fine, showed me all the details, asked me to attach our key, and that's when it goes downhill.

CURRENT CONFIGURATION:  All the remote locations are running ESXi 5.5 U1 using the FREE license

vCenter is built with 5.5 U2B as the compatibility matrix said it would work with the one generation older ESXi (which we'd upgrade using the manager in the near future)

- License is vCenter 5 Standard

Branch "update" is to change them over to the VMware vSphere 5 Remote Office Branch Office Standard license.

When I select the Remote Office key during the add it says it'll lose the 8WAY SMP since that's the only feature on FREE.   Fine.  I click continue, and then it tries to add, but gives a LICENSEKEY error.

What am I doing wrong here?

Is it a version issue, key issue, etc?

Is the issue is its on Free, and cannot swap over easily?

Unfortunately I don't have any non-registered ones to test-add.

vCenter itself shows the 75 VM's available.

Help!

10 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

One of the restrictions of the free version of ESXi is that it cannot be managed by vCenter. 

You can read more about the restrictions of the free edition on this old blog post from 5.1 here:

http://techhead.co/vmware-vsphere-5-1-hypervisor-free-esxi-5-1-limitations/

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
WABdave
Contributor
Contributor

I'm aware of that.  I have a Branch and Office license, and I'm attempting to assign that license set to the Free hosts.

I know while the FREE license is there you cannot manage it via vCenter, but you should be able to upgrade to a paid license, right?

I have a 75VM Office and Branch license already assigned inside vCenter.  It should update the license associated with that host when I add it, and select the updated license in vCenter to apply correct?

It would seem a bit odd if you had no option to turn your free environment into paid.

We have no intent to use the FREE license any further.  We are wanting to take our newly purchased Office and Branch license and apply it to our 40 Hypervisors (as they only hold 1VM each right now with the exception of 4 of them) to bring them into PAID status and into vCenter.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Yes, but I would try and assign the license on the host directly BEFORE you try to join it to vCenter. 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
WABdave
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that, too.

If I go into the host via the old school vSphere thick client, go to the licenses and attempt to assign a new license (inputting the code for our Branch and Office license) it says its not the right license type.

Which makes no sense as that should be the right license for a ESXi 5.5U1 host from our presales talks.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

If you go to your license portal on vmware.com, do you see that license there? 

It sounds like it isn't the right key that you're trying to enter. 

0 Kudos
WABdave
Contributor
Contributor

A direct copy / paste of the license type we're attempting to add.  Per VMWARE this was the correct one in presales, but something is being tricky.

vSphere 5 Standard for Retail and Branch Offices

For those who are familiar... that should be applicable for ESXi 5.5 U1 hosts, correct?  The license there is the same one vCenter took and shows 75 VM licenses available for.

I have two licenses in the portal.

One for vCenter and one for the above.

Just as a reference point the other license is for this:

vCenter Server 5 Standard

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

That license should work on all hosts from 5.0 up through 5.5 U2. 

Do you get an error when you try to add the license via the thick client?

0 Kudos
WABdave
Contributor
Contributor

Yes,

As you can see it shows up as UNLICENSED when I input it, but vCenter takes that same license fine.

Thoughts?

I have tried both licenses just as a safety catch without difference.

Sadly I think it may be a bad license in terms of recognition by ESXi, but want to make sure before I call and see if it can be re-issued.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Sorry, I am not an expert on the free edition or branch office licenses.  I would contact VMware support. 

WABdave
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate your help regardless.

Looks like its a licensing issue.  Even though we told the VMW Presales team of our U1 status the robocopy kit requires U2.

I'm going to try doing an offline update to one of our low use hosts to see if thats the case after it updates to U2.

I'll close this if that's the case.

0 Kudos