VMware Cloud Community
Demitri
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot add host. Failed to configure management account.

Good day!!!! Im a newbie in using virtual center and im using vmware infrastructure 3. I want to add a host to data center. The host is running a vmware server. I can detect the settings of the vmware server but during the authentication log in it prompts a general error. It states that it cannot configure management account. And because of that, I cannot add the host. But when I add a host which has an ESX server running, there is no problem encountered. Please someone give me an idea about this problem.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
aldin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i think you can not add VMware Server to Virtual Center it is only for managing esx hosts.

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

You can't add a "Vmware server" to VC , VC is only for ESX. You need another version for that ...

See more here- > http://www.vmware.com/products/server/vc.html

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Demitri
Contributor
Contributor

Good day!! Thanks for replying. Can you please tell me the reason or are there any walkthrough to this problem?

0 Kudos
Demitri
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks you for the response. It really help me. But can you tell me the reason why it cannot be done??? Is there any walkthrough to this problem?

0 Kudos
aldin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Like Lars already said you have one Virtual Center for ESX and different version for VMware Server. There are two separated products and you should download version for vmware server and install it and then add vmware server host to it.

0 Kudos
Demitri
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! does this means I cannot manage bot esx and vmware server in a single data center?

0 Kudos
aldin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

as I understand NO. you must have one VC for ESXs and one for VMware servers.

0 Kudos
Demitri
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!! Maybe I'll look for more information about the posibility of handling box esx and vmware server.

0 Kudos