VMware Cloud Community
BYUE
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot Register vCenter Server

Hi Experts,

I tried to register a vCenter Server through vSphere Web Client Administration Tool and got the following error mesages:

VMware ESX and VMware ESXi servers are not supported with vSphere Web Client 5.0.0.

Any advice how to register the vCenter Server?

Thanks,

Brian

18 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The Web Client provides limited functinality primariliy aimed at VM support - you will have to use the vSphere Client to manage your vCenter server -

And to clarify what do you mean by register vCenetr?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
BYUE
Contributor
Contributor

In order to use the vSphere web client to manage the vCenter Server, I have to register the server first.

1) https://localhost:9443/admin-app

2) Click Register vCenter Server URL

3) Enter the vCenter Server IP, username, password information, and vSphere Web Client server name or IP

The error message displayed:

VMware ESX and VMware ESXi servers are not supported with vSphere Web Client 5.0.0.

0 Kudos
ZeroJay
Contributor
Contributor

I got following message......

The vSphere Web Client Administration Tool only supports registration of vCenter Server version 5.0.  For newer versions, the vCenter Server system must be registered with the Lookup Service to allow the vSphere Web Client to discover the system.

what can I do?

0 Kudos
JonoP
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the exact same error message.

I am installing all of the 5.1 updated clients and I get this message?

Did Vmware bother to test this before deploying it?

0 Kudos
australfr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I went just to install a lab with vSphere 5.1, and i got the same message as you when i try to register Vcenter in web client :

- The vSphere Web Client Administration Tool only supports registration of vCenter Server version 5.0.  For newer versions, the vCenter Server system must be registered with the Lookup Service to allow the vSphere Web Client to discover the system.

When i try to use the Lookup Service : https://<IP address>:7444/lookupservice/sdk i've got another error :

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<soapenv:Body>
<soapenv:Fault>
<faultcode>ServerFaultCode</faultcode>
<faultstring>
Unexpected EOF in prolog  at [row,col {unknown-source}]: [1,0]
</faultstring>
<detail>
<RuntimeFaultFault xmlns="urn:vim25" xmlns:vim25="urn:vim25" xsi:type="vim25:InvalidRequest"/>
</detail>
</soapenv:Fault>
</soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

If someOne have any idea to resolve this problem.

Regards,

Eric

0 Kudos
HIsgett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not that this will help, but this was my experience when I ran into the same thing. While trying troubleshoot how to use this lookupservice, I went to straight to https://vcenterserver:9443/vsphere-client and was able to login and see everything. I also installed the plugin that you can install from the login page. Now when I click on the link to Login to the Web Client on the main webpage http://vcenterserver, everything just works...

0 Kudos
JonoP
Contributor
Contributor

This has not been answered and this installation is useless until someone explains a fix.

0 Kudos
mcenteed
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. I believe the lookup service is linked to SSO so I've been trying the get SSO working using Active directory, but I've become stuck trying to add an identity source. So what I am doing is going to the vSphere Web Client -> Administration -> Sign-On and Descovery -> Configuration + Add Identity Source. When I enter the correct details I get the error "Unable to detect BaseDN". There is no help on this online. Hopefully someone here can help. I would assume if  this works, the auto descovery of vCenter for the web client should work. Thanks.

0 Kudos
mcenteed
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

My assumptions were correct... kinda. Steps to get this to work:

• Log in to vSphere web client as admin (admin@System-Domain, this is the default user added during install of vcenter)
  • Go to Administration -> SSO Users and Groups
  • Go to Groups tab and click on __Administrators__
  • Click on the little man icon to Add Princilpals
  • Select the local vcenter server as the identity source and search for a local user you can log in as.
  • Then add that user and click OK.
  • You should see the vCenter listed after you log in.

Still can't get LDAP working as an identity source if anyone can help.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
australfr
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

Thank's for your answer.

I've done all the steps you wrote and everything is working fine now.

except like you the ldap.

Thank's again :smileycool:

Eric

0 Kudos
brianst
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having similar issues, and perhaps it is just an issue with my upgrade of the local web client. My vCenter upgrade went fine, i can hit the web client page on the upgraded vCenter server, however when I authenticate, I get the following message:

"The specified vCenter Server(version - 5.1.0) is not compatible with vSphere Web Client 5.0.0."

I'm accessing from a Win7 client, and I did an upgrade of my vSphere client to 5.1, and it is able to access the environment just fine. I also got the web client from the new vCenter media, and did that install on the local machine as well...and during the install of that client it seemed able to register to the lookup service, etc.

Is it just a problem of closing all my browser windows or rebooting for it to recognize that all my clients have been upgraded, or is there something else I'm missing?

0 Kudos
Maldaer
Contributor
Contributor

You're a genius ... thank you soooo much!!!!!

0 Kudos
StuartMartin
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same problem with not being able to see my vcenter environment throught the webclient, and also not being able to login using the vsphere client using domain credentials (via the tickbox), even with my domain added as an sso identity.

I was able to login to the vsphere client after performing the steps mentioned by mcenteed (Thanks!!) and I found that even though I had added the domain as an SSO identity, and given the appropriate user group permissions to the vcenter server (throught web client), it still wouldn't let me logon as a domain account from the vsphere client.

The issue being I failed to add the netbios name in the domain alias field when adding my domain as an sso identity.

If I manually logged into the vsphere client using the fqdn\user (example.com.au\administrator) account with the appropriate password, it would let me in, but not if I ticket the box to use windows credentials (due to it referencing the netbios name).

I deleted my domain from the sso identity list and the default domain list, re-added it specifying the netbios domain name (domain alias field).

Selected the vcenter server from the list, selected manage, then permissions, added the domain group I wanted to access the vcenter server.

When I tried to login to the vsphere client using domain credentials (via tick box) - all working!

0 Kudos
aha_tom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having same trouble to get AD accounts access to the vCenter 5.1. Use FQDN\account does not make any changs. Can only use vCenter server local accounts to access vCenter through vsphere client at the moment.

0 Kudos
bonkler
Contributor
Contributor

This is burning a hole in my brain!  I've been trying - without success of course - to register my vCenter server.  Either GUI or cmd line, I end up with the following result:

An untrusted SSL certificate is installed on "3.49.249.110" and secure communica
tion cannot be guaranteed. Depending on your security policy, this issue might n
ot represent a security concern. You might need to install a trusted SSL certifi
cate on your vCenter Server to prevent this warning from appearing.
The SHA1 thumbprint of the certificate is:
42:E0:EC:2A:D9:0E:D8:93:76:F7:D7:42:B6:D2:9B:16:48:57:13:DE.
Enter 'A' to accept and install the certificate to avoid any security warnings f
or this server in future.
Enter 'C' to cancel the operation.
A
The vSphere Web Client Administration Tool only supports registration of vCenter
Server version 5.0.  For newer versions, the vCenter Server system must be regi
stered with the Lookup Service to allow the vSphere Web Client to discover the s
ystem.

It appears successful as it generates the cert thumbprint but when Ienter A or click Register within the GUI, the same error msg appears.  No matter what I try - adding our local administrator's group to the SSO __Administrators__ group within the Web Client or adjusting the settings for LDAP (cannot add that resource as noted in an earlier post) I'm straight out of answers or solution paths to follow.

IS there any solution to this?

0 Kudos
JohannStander
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Eric

I have exactly the same error as you in when I run the lookupservice/sdk:

did you ever figure out the solution to this problem to get AD authentication to work?

thanks

0 Kudos
ValentinJoubert
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all,

First thank you  mcenteed for your Workaround.

I have find a solution to LDAP Problem:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203736...

It´s works fine.

Have a great day

Valentin

AHutch
Contributor
Contributor

That worked great for me thank you!

0 Kudos