VMware Cloud Community
JimKeyes
Contributor
Contributor

Canceled vCenter 7.0 Upgrade now vCenter 6.7 stuck at "Starting VMware Performance Charts"

Hey, all,

I started the process of upgrading our vCenter appliance from 6.7 to 7.0. We have not yet replaced our Dell Equallogic SAN and the storage plugin still uses flash. So, when I saw that 7.0 doesn't support flash, I went through the process of cancelling the upgrade and it rolled back to 6.7. I'm trying to log into the appliance in the web browser so that I can check for updates. Once I sign in, I see what's shown in the attachment. What options do I have?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DidierHu
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had the same issue and found your post while googling.

The "touch  ..." part at the end of this article worked for me KB 67179: VMware Knowledge Base

extract ;

basically vami is looking for prechecks-succeeded,export-succeeded & import-succeeded files which will not be present in /var/log/vmware/upgrade, though this is zero kb file, create a file by using touch

# touch prechecks-succeeded

# touch export-succeeded

# touch import-succeeded

Didier

jburen
Expert
Expert

I would suggest restoring your backup (if you have one).

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
AartK2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

What was your solution to the problem? We experiencing the same issue and VMware support has not solved the problem.

The "touch" files are not helping to resolve our issue as the import of data is just skipped.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
NLYNN
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm adding the below files to /var/log/vmware/upgrade stopped the upgrade process.

# touch export-succeeded

# touch import-succeeded

The "touch  ..." part at the end of this article worked for me KB 67179: VMware Knowledge Base

extract ;

basically vami is looking for prechecks-succeeded,export-succeeded & import-succeeded files which will not be present in /var/log/vmware/upgrade, though this is zero kb file, create a file by using touch

# touch export-succeeded

# touch import-succeeded

Sergey_77777
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm that adding the files below to /var/log/vmware/upgrade stopped the upgrade process.

# # preliminary touch check completed successfully

# click export - successfully

# touch import - successful

The "touch" side ..." at the end of this article, WHETHER 67179 worked for me: The VMware Knowledge Base

extract ;

basically, vami is looking for prechecks-succeeded,export-succeeded and import-succeeded files that will not be present in /var/log/vmware/upgrade, although this is a zero kb file, create a file using touch

# # preliminary touch check completed successfully

# click export - successfully

# touch import - successful

I also confirm that it works, thank you

DB-SA
Contributor
Contributor

Hey All,
I see the same message for a long time stuck at 100% :

Set up target vCenter Server and start services

Starting VMware Performance charts... 100%

Is this a result of a halfway canceled upgrade process or a different issue?

Will the solution explained here in the forum or to the solution referenced here worked for any of you all?
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67179

What explained here is a different service and i don't see the vami.log indicates :  "progress_message": in my scenario.

I have attached the screenshot.

Thanks,

Dinesh

0 Kudos
DB-SA
Contributor
Contributor

I have followed the provided instructions also referenced in : https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67179 VMware KB article has fixed the exact same issue or the symptom I was encountering.  I am now able to log in to the VCSA UI 

Thanks for the support, much appreciated.

Dineshkumar Balendran

0 Kudos