VMware Cloud Community
zhangfred_vm
Contributor
Contributor

Can we use the snapmirror in netapp storage to backup vms?

Hi experts,

Can we use the snapmirror in netapp storage to backup vms?

Is there a best practice?

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Rodos
Expert
Expert

I am not a Netapp expert.

Do you really mean snapmirror? Snapmirror more for replicating to another box/location than for backup? For local backup you would be using snapshot.

For an overview check out . It summaries different techniques and has some links to best practices.

Maybe explain what you are trying to do a little more.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
zhangfred_vm
Contributor
Contributor

thanks!

we want to back all the virtual machines to the tape.

It's about 300 Virtual machines and 12T data.

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hello,

I did some fairly intense research on netapp filers. The one thing that worried me was that issue of over subscription and WAFL. Here is what I found. When you use WAFL with snapshots and VMFS your active disk data blocks begin to frag across the array(s) and once the system snapshot volume saturates the array performance begins to degrade. This can be countered by running a defrag process but that interferes with the backup window (Or just add disk till the power outlet is cooked). If the array is oversubscribed it will need to flush the oldest snapshot pointers to free up raw blocks but again these are fragged and will not perform as well. One method of avoiding some of these issues is to use RDM and let snapdrive deal with snapshots.

Here is a netapp best practice guide you may find very usefull.

http://www.netapp.com/library/tr/3562.pdf

FYI

I'm still not sold on Netapp.

Seems to be priced much higher than many other solutions.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert

Okay, so your implementation is going to depend a lot on your overall back design and strategy. Things like what backup software you are running. What time you are going to backup. How long its going to take to backup. How you want to restore and the frequency. Do you need incremental backup, whats you backup cycles and tape rotation like. Are there any specific application requirements like databases or Exchange. What level of data integrity do you need, crash consistant, file system level or application level. I think you will want to have a very good understanding and breakdown of all of this across your systems and applications to then start looking at the technologies to solve it.

If you are only interested in dumping all the data to tape, have you considered using VCB or some 3rd part tools that can work at the VMFS level (vRangerPro for example).

To do SAN snaps you need to work through how you are going to quiesce the data at the right level and sync it up on all the VMs who have data stored on that LUN. The answer to this could go as deep as how you actually configure your storage.

For some ideas one simple way to do it see the thread . This is a way of creating file system consistent snaps of the disks on a LUN so it can then be presented for backup. And remember that something will need to understand VMFS.

Sorry to rave on about the background. But how to do backup really can be a detailed thing and I would hate to just say, go and do this, without just raising the issue of it really having to fit into and be driven by the bigger picture. Most things that go wrong don't cause you to loose your job. Screwing up the backup, and hence loss of data, is one of those few that can indeed cause you to loose your job or cause a business significant costs and downtime.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
bggb29
Expert
Expert

I cannot address a netapp specifically. What we have is a ev and a cx we snap the luns and present them to a esx server.

We then copy the crash consitent guests off to tape. We have had very good success this way.

0 Kudos
dalepa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The answer is absolutely. Not only can you use snapmirror as backup, you can run your VMs from the snapmirror filer in a disaster. You can also have snapmirror's in multiple locations. And if needed, you can backup to tape from the destination filer which completely offloads backups.

We have been using snapmirror on 950 VMs to 2 locations over NFS since August 2006. Here's Why VMware over Netapp NFS

virtualOptics

0 Kudos