VMware Cloud Community
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can't use Import on vCenter server

When I attempt to start an import since upgrading to 4.0 from 2.5. I see the "Please wait while the inventory is loaded" dialog. After 10 seconds or so an error pops up "Unknown error generated from client"

This is in the log on my machine:

Task failed: Incomplete header received

Any one see this and find a resolution?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm wondering if this is a side effect of the September Microsoft patches?

It was working previous to patching the server this past weekend. I have opened a SR , we'll see.

I'm suspecting this may be the culprit as I believe the 4.0 upgrade installs the JScript runtime.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-045 - Critical

Vulnerability in JScript Scripting Engine Could Allow Remote Code Execution (971961)

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Removing and reinstalling Converter fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It turns out the root cause of this is a seperate issue. The reinstallation isn't what fixed it

This occurred again and it turned out that it is related to the host losing it's Swap datastore setting.

0 Kudos
MDeller
Contributor
Contributor

Can you give some more details on how to fix it? I'm getting this same error and uninstall/reinstall didn't fix.

0 Kudos
Jawdat
Contributor
Contributor

Im my case there were underlying issues with inventory in vcentre and a hung / unresponsive vm.

To identify the issue was a big job though as you need to narrow it down to possible one VMs somewhere.

I went through my hosts one by one disconnecting and connecting but it paid off as by fixing this problem I managed to sort 3 other issues I had.

When I connected back one of the hosts I got an error: "Reconnect host esx999 A general system error occurred: internal error"

It then asked me where to add the host and its VMs to and for the hosts root credentials, as if adding this host into the cluster for the first time. one of the vms got automatically restrated and then I was able to use Import Machine... without the errors and was able to carryout a P2V.

I recommend you read: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101612...

I hope this help anyone, if so don't forget to reward points.

Thanks.

Instructions provide the steps to do it but you still have to apply your intelect.
0 Kudos
Harpstein123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Disconnecting and reconnecting each host worked for me after everything else above failed.

0 Kudos
Jawdat
Contributor
Contributor

Glad it worked for you.

Basically it is a corrupted table(s) that handles the inventory.

If one knows exactly which ones it'll be a case of just repairing the tables in SQL but...

In the meantime the remove and add repopulate the appropriate tables with good data and fixes issues.

Instructions provide the steps to do it but you still have to apply your intelect.
0 Kudos