VMware Cloud Community
larstr
Champion
Champion

Can't remove a host because we have configured a DVS

Hi,

We're about to rename a few esx hosts and thought it would be wise to remove them from VC during this operation.

I've removed the uplinks from this host and I've also made sure no running VMs have this DVS configured.

I still get the message:"The resource vim.HostSystem esxname is in use. Cannot remove the host esxname because it's part of DVS dvsname".

What is the proper procedure in order to achieve this?

Lars

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GREEMEBDO
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get an answer to this?

If not can anyone tell me if we get this message because we have a fault, or if it is by design.

If by design then what is the procedure for removing hosts with Distributed switches.

Regards

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

basically I wanted to remove my cluster and one machine was giving me that message so I could not remove the cluster....so I went to DVS conf and I removed the NICs to the DVSs but still no go so I had to remove the DVSs to make it work....

that's a workaround for someone that has a testing lab like me....but not for a production environment :smileysilly:

well that at least was my quick fix I don't know if you did something else to fix it

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Guys I found this and could be the culprit

1. Removing an ESX/ESXi host configured with a vDS from a vCenter Server system results in inconsistent networking state on the host

If you remove an ESX/ESXi host configured with a vDS from a vCenter Server system, the host cannot reconnect to the vDS. When you add the host back to the vCenter Server system, a warning similar to the following appears:

The distributed Virtual Switch corresponding to the proxy switches d5 6e 22 50 dd f2 94 7b-a6 1f b2 c2 e6 aa 0f bf on the host does not exist in vCenter or does not contain the host.

The virtual machines continue to function on their respective ports, but new virtual machines are not allowed to power on. You cannot modify the vDS settings for this host by using a vSphere Client connected to the vCenter Server system.

Workaround: Perform the following steps:

1. Use a vSphere Client to connect directly to the ESX/ESXi host. This workaround requires a direct connection.

2. Migrate the virtual machines off of the invalid vDS ports one by one by editing the settings of each virtual machine. This will result in prolonged network interruption to the virtual machines.

3. Choose Host > Configuration > Networking > Distributed Virtual Switch and click Remove.

4. In a vSphere Client connected to the vCenter Server system, refresh the network settings of the host. The errors are cleared.

5. Add the host back to the vDS, either manually or by using a host profile.

6. Migrate the virtual machines back to their respective ports or portgroups on the vDS. To do so, right-click the vDS and choose Migrate Virtual Machine Networking. This process also results in network interruption to the virtual machines.

• one more thing you can do is apply a host profile to the new added host so you can save some time

0 Kudos