VMware Cloud Community
rafmagzh
Contributor
Contributor

Can't migrate virtual machine

Can`t migrate Virtual Machine with snapshots from ESX 3.0.1 to Cluster (4 ESX Servers 3.0.1) with DRS and HA Enabled. In "Compatibility" window i've seen error " Unable to access virtual machine configuration. Unable to to access file "snapshot file name" ". Virtual machine with out snapshot migrated succesfully. All permissions on snapshot file exist. Is it possible migrate virtual machine with snapshot from host to cluster?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sarek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When a snapshot is attached to a VM you can´t vmotion this machine. You can revert to the snapshot and remove it then you can vmotion it.

Sarek

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
plaurent49
Contributor
Contributor

Stop you VM and use clone to migrate it to your other cluster.

Regards.

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert

You need to shutdown your VM and clone it to the other cluster. I do not believe you can migrate a virtual machine with a snapshot from a host to a cluster in your situation.

0 Kudos
jeevesm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you take the snapshot when the VM is powered on? I couldn't migrate VMs from one host to another if it had a snapshot, taken when the VM is powered on.

Having said that, I couldn't migrate the VM even after deleting the snapshot and re-creating it in power off state.

0 Kudos