VMware Cloud Community
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Can't migrate to/from 1 particular ESX host within a cluster :(

Anyone know what's the problem with this. I've double check and the port label are all the same across ESX hosts for VMotion and I can migrate any VMs to any hosts except this "HOST #3" doesn't seems to work. But if I migrate a power off VM, than it works fine. I just can't migrate a VM that's power on and it throw this error below:

Unable to migrate from <hostA> to <hostB>: VMotion interface "VMkernel" on the destination host <hostB> does not have any operational physical network connections.

Migration from <hostA> to <hostB>: The VMotion interface of the destination host uses network "VMkernel", which differs from the network "VMotion" used by the VMotion interface of the source host.

I can ping the VMotion IP no problem at all and can migrate any VMs that is power off state Smiley Sad There is no devices mounted to CD/ROM anyways.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm thinking removing vkernel port and re-added to see if it works but make no sense it works when power off VM?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You renamed the vmotion port. I made this mistake once too, until I figured out what was going on. If you look at the configuration for your vswitch and look at the name of the vmotion, you will see one is called vmkernel and the other is called vmotion, just make sure ALL the ESX servers have the same named vmkernel port name and you are good.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You're right, the portgroup has been renamed previously but all the port group labels are "VMotion" the same to 10 ESX hosts. I triple checked and its "VMotion" and I don't see "VKernel" label anywhere. I might have to delete that specific port group "VMotion" port and recreate new one to see how it work.

It still make no senses why it work on when I migrated a power off virtual machines? Any ideas RParker?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
dominic7
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Powered off VMs don't use the VMotion portgroup.

Disable/re-enable VMotion on the VMotion port group and see if that helps.

-Dominic

azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Sorry take too long to update my thread. I've tested both methods removed the portgroup and disable/enable also works fine as well.

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

0 Kudos