VMware Cloud Community
chevitom
Contributor
Contributor

Can´t manage ESX Host via Virtual Center 2.5

Hi,

im using Virtual Infrastructure 2.5. I have a cluster with two hosts. Both with ESX Server 3.0.2 (52542). One of this host has the state "disconnected".

When I choose "Connect" I hand over the right credentials. In the next step I can see all the VM ´s that are hold by the affected Host. When I finish the process I get the following error message:

"Unable to acces the specified host. It either does not exist, the server software is not respondign, or there is a network problem"

When I open virtual Center with the IP-Adress of the affected host, instead of localhost to see everything, I can manage this Host. I checked these Ports from the Virtual Infrastructure Server to the Host via telnet succesfully: 902, 443, 80, 22.

I always connect to the Host via IP not via DNS Name. So it shouldn´t be a DNS problem.

Any help is welcome!

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can try that, as you are trying to connect using the IP of the machine.

And also have you removed the ESX from the VC inventory and trying to add it back or only reconnect, if this is the case, can you also try to remove from the inventory of the VC and then try to readd it back.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos
chevitom
Contributor
Contributor

Ok,

readding doesn´t help either. When I try to remove the dns suffix from the bad machine I get the following error message: "The Domain name is not in the correct format". I´m still wondering that someone has been able to do so in the past.

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Let us check in some other place now.

open a file /etc/sysconfig/network,

check for the entry "HOSTNAME = "

Check if this is given to localhost.localdomain or the hostname of the machine.

If it is to local host, then change it to hostname of the machine

i.e HOSTNAME = <hostname of the machine >

Then restart the mgmt-vmware service, and then try to add the ESX to VC.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos
chevitom
Contributor
Contributor

I changed the entry "Hostname" to the hostname of the machine. After restart of the mgmt service I was not succesfull in adding the host.

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you please check what happens in /var/log/messages when you do this operation, probably we can get some clue there.

-Karunakar

chevitom
Contributor
Contributor

First of all:

Thank you Karunakar for your nice and excellent suppot!

A "good guy" in our company resolved the problem.

He reseted the login counter for the user vpx with the "faillog" command. Now we can manage the esx host in our virtual center.

I just had a look into /var/log/messages where I can find the problem. So Karunakar was very close to the solution.

Have a nice weekend!

0 Kudos