VMware Cloud Community
chh_sys
Contributor
Contributor

Can't connect to VC with VI clients

Hi all,

we are currently installing VI clients on serveral PCs for our admins.

This worked fine for the first 8 PCs, all could connect to the server.

On any further PC the connect is not successfull and the following error is returned:

cannot connect to host vc01.xxx.xxx.xx: Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden, da der Zielcomputer die Verbindung verweigerte

Translation: No connection could be established, connection refused by target computer

This happens on several PCs, except the first 8. Connects to the ESX-hosts work fine.

There are no active connections to the VC server at the time.

The PCs are similar in configuration, it seems not to be a networking problem.

Is the numbe rof different clients in any way limited?

Any idea where the problem might come from?

Thanks

Christian

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

There was a discussion earlier today about concurrent limits and you could go to around 50 concurrenty sessions on a VC server with 4 GB of RAM. What OS and DB server do you have setup for the VirtualCenter server? you might also want to check the event logs on the VC server and the VC logs in this folder: c:\windows\temp\vpx\

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First of all using too many VI client sessions is not a good idea.

VI client can use too many resources.

I think there is no such a limitation.

The only one I know is no more than 10 remote console to a virtual machine.

I suggest you to monitor your VC Server resources to see if this is a problem depending on lack of resources.

look also at connections with "netstat -n" command to see if the connection reachs the VC.

0 Kudos
chh_sys
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave,

I have seen this discussion. It is a Windows 2003 Server with SQL database.

I have a look at the logs.

0 Kudos
chh_sys
Contributor
Contributor

I know. The reason for this number of install is that we have a large number of people that should be able to manage the VMs. They will not be used for console access unless really needed and probably only 2 or 3 (max) at the same time.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

the best way to do it is using Terminal Services or Citrix Metaframe or personal server.

You should use VI client only to administer Virtual Center.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The issue with concurrent connections comes down to resources on your VC server. We have 30-40 but have a dual CPU and 4 GB of RAM to handle the workload. With a configuration such as mine we should be able to hit the recommended maximums of 50 concurrent connections and 1000 ESX Hosts.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

Can the troublesome PCs ping the VC server by FQDN?

Can the troublesome PCs access the web client being hosted on the VC server?

0 Kudos
chh_sys
Contributor
Contributor

Name resolution is not the problem, did not try the web client yet.

The problem is not concurrent access, the other PCs are not connected when trying the new one.

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Crazy suugestion for crazy problem.

What if you unistall one client from one working PC and you install it on a non working PC?

Other suggestion:

Look into VC db tables and search for client names-IPs

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Good to know. I was pretty sure it wasn't because of what you had stated earlier.

You say name resolution is not the problem. This is because you tested it and it is fine? you were able to ping it fine and get a response?

How about if you try to telnet to it on port 902? do you see anything? from an xp machine I did this: telnet vc.servername.com 902

The above test will tell us a lot about the problem

0 Kudos