VMware Cloud Community
benutzername
Contributor
Contributor

Can´t connect ESX Host to VC

Hello,

I got 2 ESX 3.02 Server and a Virtual Center 2.0 Server. One ESX becamte disconnectet. When I try to reconnect the server, I get the following error message (I have to translate it into english, so the message may not be exactly the same) : "Connection to the Server not possible. Either it does not exist or the Server Software does not respond or there is a network problem"

I restarted these nececessary services:

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

service vmware-vmkauthd restart

I uninstalled the vpx agent and reinstalled it. I have deleted the vpx user, and restartet the above daemons. I then tryed again to connect the host to VC. But the vpx user won´t be recreated.

The line

vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy=TRUE has been to the /etc/vmware/config file. I also removed the line. The host daemon always stops and starts by its own. Sometime its only 1 second and sometimes 15 seconds online.

In tne vpxa log I can find the following:

Failed to connect to host :902. Check that authd is running correctly (lib/connect error 11)

I can´t delete the disconnectet ESX from Virtual Center. When I try this, nothing really happens.

I also restarted the VC Server. And a lot lot more.

Anoybody has a good hint for me?

I think the main problem is that the host daemon always starts and stops.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you have confirmed you can ping the host in question via name resolution from your vCenter Server?

...and you have tried to method outlined here?

0 Kudos
benutzername
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

yes Name resolution works in both directions. Yeah I already reinstalled the VC management agent.

0 Kudos
benutzername
Contributor
Contributor

Currently I was successful in removing the host completely from VC. But I get the same error when trying to add the host.

0 Kudos
vmmeup
Expert
Expert

What is the patch level of the 3.02 hosts and your version of vCenter? Have you checked the patch repository for any updates that may resolve this problem? I have seen a similar issue before but in my case uninstalling the vpx agent resolved issue for a period of tiume, but ultimatly there was a patch that resolved. Unfortunatly I don't remember the exact version I was having the issue on.

Sid Smith

http://www.dailyhypervisor.com

Sid Smith ----- VCP, VTSP, CCNA, CCA(Xen Server), MCTS Hyper-V & SCVMM08 [http://www.dailyhypervisor.com] - Don't forget to award points for correct and helpful answers. 😉
0 Kudos
benutzername
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the lade update. We got the advice from the VMware Support to reboot the machine. After the reboot we had to restore the Network configuration of the Service Console. After that we were successfull in readding the host to the Virtual Center.

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

glad to see you got it resolved.

Please consider awarding points by marking answers as "correct" or "helpful"

0 Kudos
robdob
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue. One of my ESX 3.0.2 hosts disconnected from the cluster with no effect on the VMs running on it. The only problem has I couldn't manage it anymore.

I followed the suggestion below and ran the three commands:

service mgmt-vmware restart

service vmware-vpxa restart

service vmware-vmkauthd restart

All fixed. I did see an issues with the last command and ran it again to get a clean restart.

Thanks so much.

Rob

0 Kudos