VMware Cloud Community
HBBC
Contributor
Contributor

Can't change virtual machine settings!

Hello

I have recently upgraded our VMware estate to 5.5, however we use a virtual machine as the VSphere server. This has caused an issue because I have upgraded the VMware hardware to V10 and I would like to change the VM's settings...however if you power off the vm (to change the settings) I lose web management (because it is hosted from the VSphere server) and I cant use the Windows "fat client" to change the settings because you get the following error message "You cannot use the VSphere client to edit the settings of virtual machines of version 10 or higher, use the VSphere Web Client to edit the settings of this machine"

It is a complete catch 22

Any advice?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I have moved this to a more appropriate forum

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is interesting. Smiley Happy

Did you try to login to the host directly where the vCenter VM is running through fat client and change the settings?

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
mattiTM
Contributor
Contributor

Do 11 kwietnia jestem na urlopie. W sprawach pilnych proszę o przesłanie wiadomości pod adres swd@nfz-bialystok.pl

0 Kudos
HBBC
Contributor
Contributor

Yes that was how I thought it would work, i.e. log onto the hyper-visor by IP and then manage the VSphere server settings...however no...it does not work

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is a known issue / customer surprise with a bow on top.  At the time of this writing, the current best practice is to never upgrade your virtualized vCenter to 5.5 compatibility (virtual hardware 10).  If you just need to change resources (i.e. add vCPU, Mem, etc.) then you can use PowerCLI for this task (see KB2061336).

To protect yourself from chicken and egg scenarios you may consider downgrading the vHardware.  The only currently supported method is to revert to snapshot or use Standalone Converter (see KB1028019).  However, some courageous users have had success manually editing the .vmx to virtualHW.version = "8" and then re-registering the VM.  Again, that's not supported but is known to work.

0 Kudos
HBBC
Contributor
Contributor

Amazing! I love it....

Luckily I dont need to change the hardware and I can live with the current setup until a new version is released.

It certainly tickled me and everyone in the office though

Thanks for all of the swift responses and advice

0 Kudos