VMware Cloud Community
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

Can't add new local storage through VC U2

I noticed something odd today and wanted to know if anyone else had seen this.

I've got a couple of ESX 3.5 Update 2 hosts with some locally attached MSA storage.

My VC is version 2.5 update 2.

When I select a host, go to configuration and select storage add storage, there's a nice blank page. Even though I know I've got a couple of 1.3GB logical drives available.

However, if I connect to the ESX hosts directly using the VI client and repeat the process I can add the storage without any issue. Naturally VC then shows this new storage.

Any ideas?

As an after thought, it just occured to me that the person attempting to add this storage might not have the correct permissions through AD & roles - Doh! Will check this tomorrow.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TB_Rich
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've added some local storage on a server fine in VC 2.5 U2, but I've just come to do it now and I've exactly as you describe (google'ing brought this thread up!)- storage wont show up in VC but does on direct connection to host. The only difference with this compared to the first time when it did work, is this host is on a different subnet across a WAN link to the VC Server. Wether that makes a dif I don't know?? Be interesting to know if you hosts were same or remote subnet? Hopefully U3 will have resolved anyhow.

Rich.

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

There have been a couple of similar occurances lately. I've seen a similar situation where the datastore was deleted off a LUN, the LUN "fdisk'd" to remove the partition, a re-scan done in VC but the Add Storage remained blank/empty (even after repeated rescans). In that case as well as yours connecting directly to the ESX host with the VI Client allowed the storage to be added.

There was also another poster that ran into a similar issue... http://communities.vmware.com/message/1102706#1102706

0 Kudos