VMware Cloud Community
sbh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't add a host in EVC cluster

Good morning folks,

I'm facing a problem when I try to add a host to an EVC enabled cluster.

Host info :

-The host is running VMware ESX server 3i. 3.5.0, 110271

-The host is managed by a virtual center 2.5.0 119598 (update 3)

-In the host's bios, the intel virtualisation is enable and the Enable memory thing too. (tried to enable or disable it, but no difference.)

-Finally, the host is a HP proliant ML570 G3 with 4 Intel single core CPU (Xeon MP 3.00Ghz)

Cluster info :

-'Freshly created'

-No HA, no DRS, just EVC with intel baseline.

For the moment, the host is empty as I did migrate all its machine to another host, running in a non EVC cluster. Its bios is updated to the last version.

The thing that makes wondering if it's a real EVC problem or not is the mesage I'm getting from vcenter :

"A general system error occurred: The host's CPU hardware does not support Enhanced VMotion Compatibility, which is enable for this cluster."

Sure, that's clear but those CPU are supposed to work for EVC or I'm wrong?

Thanks in advance for your hints & comments,

G.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The error speaks for itself; your processors are not capable of being in an EVC cluster. As I recall, EVC depends on having a certain generation of processors to operate -- on the AMD side, it's either a Rev. E or Rev. F (minimum); on the Intel side, it's a Penryn-based proc that has FlexMigration capabilities (i.e. the 53xx or 54xx, if I'm not mistaken). You won't be able to add the existing host(s) with the older Xeon MP processors to an EVC-enabled cluster.

-Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The error speaks for itself; your processors are not capable of being in an EVC cluster. As I recall, EVC depends on having a certain generation of processors to operate -- on the AMD side, it's either a Rev. E or Rev. F (minimum); on the Intel side, it's a Penryn-based proc that has FlexMigration capabilities (i.e. the 53xx or 54xx, if I'm not mistaken). You won't be able to add the existing host(s) with the older Xeon MP processors to an EVC-enabled cluster.

-Steve
0 Kudos
sbh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok, I thought that 'not so old' cpu would work and it could be a misleading message or something.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

G.

0 Kudos
prashantprahlad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

On the Intel side, you need a Merom or later. FlexMigration is not a requirement.

See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003212 for EVC compatible processors

0 Kudos
satish_lx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have installed VMware ESX 3.0.2 on VMware workstation 6.5.0 and its working fine even i have tested VMotion its also working fine but when i am going to configure cluster HA then i got following error. my host already added in cluster but on cluster icon its showing yello exlamation sign.

EVC cannot be enable because one or more hosts in this cluster do not support EVC.

I have Dell XPS 1530 / Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz/ 4GB Ram

Any solution for this ?

- If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Thanks Satish Patel - Journey toward "Virtual world"
0 Kudos