VMware Cloud Community
mcdonab
Contributor
Contributor

Can't add ESX host - weird error

I upgraded to VC2 -and now I can't add one of my ESX servers (that was working fine before) to VC. It's accessible because I connect to it - it prompts me for the account and password and then it displays the VM's on the server. But when I hit finish it says "Unable to access the specified host. It either does not exist, the server software is not responding or there is a network problem". I rebooted the ESX server, but that didn't help. Any ideas? thanks!

0 Kudos
34 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you able to connect to the ESX host directly using the VC client?

0 Kudos
mcdonab
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean. I can't add the ESX server to VC no. That's the problem.. But I can access port 902 from the VC server. Is that what you mean?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When starting up the VC UI, instead of giving the hostname of the VC server, give the hostname of the ESX server and log in as root. Does that work?

0 Kudos
mcdonab
Contributor
Contributor

No, but doesn't work on any of my servers... I didn't even know you could do that...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you should be able to do that. You might want to try restarting the management agent on the ESX host. Log in to the service console and run "service mgmt-vmware restart". Give it a minute to start up fully and try connecting to it directly with the UI.

0 Kudos
mcdonab
Contributor
Contributor

Doesn't work. Does it have to be ESX 3.x for me to do that? It doesn't work on any of my ESX servers... But they're all 2.x

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ah yes, you can only do this with ESX 3.x. Can you connect to the MUI on each host? Can you log in to the console OS and check that there is a process running vmware-ccagent or vmware-serverd?

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So - was this ever resolved?

0 Kudos
John_Bergin
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure but I ended up having this same error when I had a gateway mis configured and then another time where I blew it away and reinstalled and it decided to work.

0 Kudos
dtnvm
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem. I was able to connect the ESX to VC by running the installer script manually.

I issued sh /var/run/vmware/upgrade/upgrade and finally the ESX could be connected to VC. However, this is just a test machine so I dont care if this is okay or not. I am not sure if running this script manually is sufficient and does not leave out any necessary cleanup or anything.

Jan

0 Kudos
hillste1
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone resolved this issue ? I've tried everything mentioned in the threads about this and still nothing. Everytime that I try to add it to VC I get the same error "Unable to access the specified host. It either does not exist, the server software is not responding, or there is a network problem".

Anyone with suggestions or advice would be welcome. Trying to aviod rebooting this box as there are clients running on it.

Thx

0 Kudos
Espregueira
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same erro today I was registering some virtaul machines throught the webserver and they were appearing on VC but them I lost connection somehow and I can't connect I restarted the server and nothing I have 2 ESX like that.

ESX 2.5.0 was connected and 2 days after during work it stop refreshing and lost connection (it happen today) I restarted the system and nothing.

ESX 2.5.2 never could connect

I just want to migrate machines to ESX 3.01 to re-install

Any ideias?

0 Kudos
caro
Contributor
Contributor

We upgraded to latest and greatest 3.0.1 patches (there were a bunch released at the beginning of March 07). Rebooted, and bingo, no problem anymore.

No idea whehter the reboot or the patches (or both) actually fixed it. The problem made me think that some network services weren't functioning correctly, not listening. Restarting network services at the command line did not restore service so I'd suggest a good old-fashioned reboot.

0 Kudos
311bobby311
Contributor
Contributor

i didnt read the whole thread, but had the same problem

my problem was resolved by making sure that the VC and the SC were both on the same vSwitch

oh im running the VC virtually for the time being anyways...

0 Kudos
e12pilot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have the same problems with our remotely connected ESX 2.5.4 servers. We have 7 of them, and all but two have gone to a disconnected state and refuse to re-connect. MUI works great, and looking at packet captures from the virtual center server does not show any signs of network issues.

We have a case open with VMWare about it as well. No response yet.

Anyone have a solution here?

0 Kudos