VMware Cloud Community
MrPatRyan
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Install VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-U3-English on XP - AVG anti-virus hates autorun.exe!

I have a couple of Windows XP Pro SP2 systems that use AVG anti-virus and I cannot install VC2.5 on them (VC2.0 installs fine).

I have downloaded both the ZIP version and ISO of VC2.5. When unzipping the zip file VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-U3-English.zip AVG pops up with "Threat Detected" and wants to move autorun.exe to its virus vault. XP then throws up an error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not appropriate permissions to access them".

I downloaded VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-U3-English.zip directly from the VMware site. I have tried it from the ISO, written to CD and also from the .ZIP directly on my system.

If I disable AVG anti-virus XP still gives me the ""Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file." message and I cannot install VC2.5.

Does VC2.5 setup (autorun.exe) trigger my AVG anti-virus because of how it accesses system resources? Did the anti-virus change a security setting on my XP system that prevents VC2.5 from installing?

How can I get VC2.5 to install on these systems?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MrPatRyan
Contributor
Contributor

AVG anit-virus really digs its heels in with VC2.5 autorun.exe

I had to uninstall AVG temporarily to get VC 2.5 installation to start.

0 Kudos
zitsky
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also seeing this with AVG Free Edition, Program version 7.5.549, virus base 270.9.1/1781. I just told AVG to ignore the message, and ran VMware-VIMsetup.exe directly.

0 Kudos