VMware Cloud Community
jheman
Contributor
Contributor

Can not find vCenter Server Installer

Running the free Vsphere esxi 5.5  when i connect to get the client it tells me I ought use the web client if i select the link 'Download VMware vCenter'  i end up on a most confusing page  with literally dozen of options.

When I looked for documents i find several that start by saying things like the quote below.  But can not find one that says this is the installer and this is how you get it.  OR this is a link to the installer.

Is this pointless?  Is it related to the free version?? should I just use the client since we have no license nor any $$ to purchase a license??

"

Install and Start the vSphere Web Client

The vSphere Web Client enables you to connect to a vCenter Server system to manage an ESXi host through a browser.

Download the vCenter Server installer.

"

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The web client is only available if you have a vCenter Server.  The free ESXi does not include it.  And yes, the vCenter Server is a paid component.  And is required to use some of the more interesting features of a VMware setup, such as vMotion.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since the ESXi binaries are the same for the free and the paid editions, the link may not make sense in your case. The free edition can only be managed with the Windows based vSphere Client. One hint though for the free edition, don't try to upgrade a virtual machine's hardware version to the latest (version 10), because a VM with version 10 can only be managed with the Web Client!

André

0 Kudos