VMware Cloud Community
countzero1111
Contributor
Contributor

Can distributed switch config be exported via SSH shell CLI or VAMI on vCenter 7?

vCenter was upgraded from an earlier build of 7 to the latest, and it went unresponsive on the GUI.  VAMI is still accessible, SSH probably -haven't tried yet. A new VCSA has been deployed, and we would really like to export/import the distributed switch config since that would be the most work. Also, there are VMs running on the ESXi 6.7 hosts which will need to have their networking re-done I'm assuming... or would a restored dvSwitch in a new vCenter look correct to an "orphaned" and newly added host?  We can sustain short outages on all VMs.

I'm wondering if it might be best to park the VMs on freshly imaged hosts with standard switches, then when the dist. switch config has been restored or rebuilt and fully tested, moving the VMs back into that environment. Any thoughts?  I don't think it is worth trying to recover the original VCSA - a co-worker has already tried restoring a backup (I think from VAMI) to a new VCSA and that didn't work either. 

Labels (6)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
countzero1111
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I may be able to use PowerCLI to export the switch, if I can connect using that method. I'm not sure how "broken" this vCenter is but we shall see.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @countzero1111,

I recommend you to follow the next procedure: https://blogs.vmware.com/PowerCLI/2013/03/vds-exportimport-with-powercli.html. I know it has some years but the VDS logic did not change that much for exporting and importing configurations.

Give it a try to export first, see the contents and compare with a file being taken manually.

0 Kudos
countzero1111
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, that would be good advice if the vCenter API services would start. PowerCLI can't connect.  I can get to the VAMI interface and I can SSH into the vCenter VCSA, but the normal GUI will not start.  Service-control --start --all hangs, as does service-control --start vmware-vapi-endpoint.

Anyone know if there is a way to extract a vDSwitch from a VAMI backup?   Seems like there would be a way to do this, or export the switch.

(I think I already mentioned that trying to restore the VAMI backup trashed the vCenter, and it looks like others are having this issue with 7.0.0.10700.)

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am not sure if you can get that from the backup as it will depend of the format the backup is coming to the repository. the vAPI endpoint service not working is an issue that will be needed to be fixed.

What do you see on the logs of that service when trying to start it?

0 Kudos