VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can VI Client 4.0 U1 manage a 3.5 Virtual Center and 3.5 hosts??

I want to upgrade my VI Client from its current version to the newer 4.0 version.

Can I still manage an ESX 3.5 VC server and 3.5 hosts??

Thank you, Tom

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, the vSphere4 client is backward compatible.

However, just my own quirk. I like to manage my instances with the same build client as my Host, or if using vCenter, the same client build as vCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, the vSphere4 client is backward compatible.

However, just my own quirk. I like to manage my instances with the same build client as my Host, or if using vCenter, the same client build as vCenter.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I want to run Windows 7 x64...the VIC is one of my few stumbling blocks.

I was hoping to avoid kludges etc. to get a 3.5 VIC working on x64 Windows 7.

What could happen if I have a host/client mismatch??

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll end up with 2 versions of the vSphere client (4.0 and 2.5) installed and when you start the client and connect to a host it will figure out which client to run. If you install just the vSphere 4.0 client it will not be sufficient to manage a vcenter 2.5 or ESX(i) 3.5 standalone hosts.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What could happen if I have a host/client mismatch??

nothing that i've seen, it's just my own OCD, I guess. Plus, there is a downgrade of the client when using it to manage a VI3 environment.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Troy, a downgrade?? Is that what Dave means when he says there would then be two installed client versions??

Thank you for all the time you take to answer everyone's questions. Smiley Happy

I can understand that many people don't have 'mixed client' environments, but there certainly must be a lot of people with both ESX 4 and ESX 3.5 hosts, since not everyone can migrate all their 3.5 hosts to 4.0 all at once.

Would a better solution be to install a new vCenter 4.0 server to replace our vCenter 2.5 server, then manage all our hosts (3.5 and 4.0) with the vCenter 4.0 server and client?? Thinking about it, I can see how this could make easier our 4.0 migration.

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>The first time you try to connect, a different vSphere Client is downloaded and installed. For all subsequent connections, the client launcher will launch the correct client for your vCenter server.

taken from

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Would a better solution be to install a new vCenter 4.0 server to replace our vCenter 2.5 server, then manage all our hosts (3.5 and 4.0) with the vCenter 4.0 server and client?? Thinking about it, I can see how this could make easier our 4.0 migration.

Also, if you are going to manage 4.x Hosts within vCenter, you have to upgrade to vCenter4. vCenter4 can manage 3.5 and 4.x, but vCenter 2.5.x cannot manage a 4.x ESX(i) Host.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I gather from Troy's comments that if I install VIC 4.x to Win7 (new install) or Vista (upgrade from VIC 2.5.x), the first time I connect to our VC 2.5 server, the 4.x VIC will download and install another 2nd client from the Internet (or thin air more likely) and then I can manage our vCenter without worrying about compatibility issues of any kind.

Thank you again, everyone!!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The client will be downloaded from the ESX(i) or vCenter server that you are attempting to connect to. It won't be an updated VI client v 2.5 so you'll still have issues with x64 / Windows 7.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dave, thank you for brightening my day Smiley Happy

It's now apparent to me that I should follow my original plan of creating a new ESX host, then setting up a new vCenter 4.x server, then managing the 3.5 hosts thusly.

The host I would start with has local storage, so it's possible for it to be initially separate from our SAN.

Thank you again, everyone!!! Smiley Happy

Happy Christmas to all!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I haven't tried the vSphere4 client on an x64 Windows7 box, but there is support for it on a windows 7 platform

>......In addition, the vSphere Client is now supported and can be installed on a Windows 7 platform.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_vc40_u1_rel_notes.html

0 Kudos