VMware Cloud Community
REALM
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use scheduled task to create clones and overwrite old ones?

So VCB isn't compatible with out current backup software, so as a fallback I'm going to present 3 TB of storage and live clone my VM's on the weekends using scheduled tasks to automate it.

However, my issue is that it doesn't appear to let you overwrite the old backup even if you give the VM the same name. Is that correct? Or will it overwrite?

I have it running now but it's going to take a while so thought I'd ask if there was a way to do this.

Otherwise I'll have to go in and manually delete the old backups each week.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fcoa
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever come up with a solution?

0 Kudos
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What about these as possible solutions:

1) Use VCB standalone without any backup server integration. You can use the vcbmounter.exe command to connect to the storage and backup your VMs. That is relatively easily to script and schedule. You can use it even if you don't have a SAN by using command line switches to force it to go over the network.

2) Use VMware Converter and schedule V2V migrations each week.

Just some food for thought.

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
fcoa
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm... interesting. I need to do some more research on the VCB.

Another option, if you have the space is to do the following:

• Run scheduled backup

• Relocate/rename the clone or just "Remove from Inventory"

• After next scheduled backup, delete older clone and relocate/rename/remove from inventory on the newer clone

Not ideal, but it could work. Of course, you could always delete just prior to the next scheduled backup (if you feel comfortable with a vulnerability period).