VMware Cloud Community
thollegos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I make a copy of the vCenter Server Appliance VCSA 7

Can I make a copy/clone of the VCSA 7.0 to another machine and shared storage?

I just installed 3 new machines with ESXi 7 and built a VCSA 7 on the first host on local not shared datastore.  I was wondering if I can clone the VCSA to a different host and shared datastore as backup for the orig?  I've researched the question and I've seen yes you can but in backup discussions they say no.  I'm confused can I or can't I.  Since it's the VCSA I don't want to take the chance of trying to clone a live VCSA without first knowing if it will work.

My previous experience was with ver. 4 and the Vcenter client was on a local PC not a VM.  The VM nature of Vcenter makes me nervous.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can make a copy using clone or power off VCSA and export OVF(from ESXi) . 

Better to use backups from VAMI to restore to the last good state

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ

View solution in original post

2 Replies
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You mentioned you need to have a live clone, I think you need a cluster-structured design for your vCenter setup. So if it's what you really required to have, you can deploy the vCenter High Availability (VCHA) that is a VCSA feature that provides a triple-node cluster for made more availability for your vCenter. You can check how to setup with the following link:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.avail.doc/GUID-33AC12C8-EEB7-422D-8...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can make a copy using clone or power off VCSA and export OVF(from ESXi) . 

Better to use backups from VAMI to restore to the last good state

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ