VMware Cloud Community
DWilga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CPU Resource shares BUG

Folks,

We regularly see an issue with moving certain VM's into resource pools.

The message manifests as:

"The CPU resource shares for VMxxx are much lower than the virtual machine's in the resource pool. With its current share setting, the virtual machine will be entitled to 2% of the CPU resources in the pool. Are you sure you want to do this?"

Up until today I thought that either my DataCenter's VMware environment or perhaps my personal methods or techniques might have been at fault. That was the past...

Today, in VMware's classroom environment: "VMware Infrastructure3: install and Configure" This exact same problem happened to our \[classroom] environment as well. This was an environment of all cloned VM's, all guaranteed to have the same resource setup for all VM's. Just to be sure it wasn't a normal VM issue or a resource pool issue, we manually checked every one the VM's and the resource pool. Neither we students, nor the VCP certified instructor could find a viable reason for this warning message.

So, while I don't expect a resolution from the group, I am hoping to get through to the VMware folks monitoring these groups that a bug exists and needs addressing. Until then, does anyone have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

I have the same issue and it is driving me insane. I have not put certain vms back into their pools with the concern that something was off here. Can anyone else confirm that this is a bug?

Matthew

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
spence15
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting this error for a few of my VMs as well. Still hoping someone can confirm this is a bug and that it's not a problem to move the machines into the appropriate resource pools.

0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

Hey Spence,

I read somewhere that it was a bug, I moved mine back into the resource pools one at a time and watched them when I did, and everything turned out for the best.

Matthew

I did this because I thought I remember reading that it was a bug somewhere.

Kaizen!

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
cnidus
Contributor
Contributor

Also having the same issue..... How has this not been fixed in 3 years? I think I might lodge a call with VM support and see what they say....

Douglas Youd Senior Virtualization Engineer zettagrid
0 Kudos
Ajay_Nabh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Guys

I have a same issue, Anybody got any updates yet? I am on ESX 3.5 u4

Cheers

0 Kudos
DJRyan920
Contributor
Contributor

Im getting this also on vSphere 4.0u1.

I am trying to move from our "R&D" resource pool which limits resources to one that doesnt limit. My error says my machine will be entitled to 0% of the CPU resources. I look at the machine settings and they are all basic default settings.

FAIL Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Ajay_Nabh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thats no good on VMware's part!! anyway, in 3.5 I did not have any issues after moving VM....

0 Kudos
DJRyan920
Contributor
Contributor

I moved them around and they had no problems either so definitely a bug in the error message!

Ryan Hoffmann | Sr. Systems Administrator | Cellcom | 1580 Mid Valley Dr. | Ph: 920-617-6831 | Email: ryan.hoffmann@cellcom.com | cellcom.com

Cellcom is an Nsight Company

0 Kudos
fletch00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get this still with the latest ESXi 4.1 U1 348481

Its definately a BUG - not sure if there is a KB on it - workaround I documented:

http://www.vmadmin.info/2011/04/cpu-resource-shares-bug.html

VCP5 VSP5 VTSP5 vExpert http://vmadmin.info
0 Kudos
ideFix1505
Contributor
Contributor

I 'm getting the same error with ESX4.1U1.
But there is a KB for that issue Smiley Wink : http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1018360

0 Kudos
ricmarques
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

Well, this very discussion about the "CPU Resource Shares BUG" was started in 2007 for "VMware Infrastructure 3". We're now in February 2012, and I'm now getting the same erroneous error message, when moving a Virtual Machine between two resource pools (with custom shares), using VMware vCenter Server 4.1 Update 1, running a HA/DRS Cluster of several hosts running ESXi 4.1Update 1, namely the following error message:

The CPU resource shares for VMxyz are much lower than the virtual machine's in the resource pool.

With its current share settings, this virtual machine will be entitled to 0% of the CPU resources in the pool. Do you want to continue?

[Yes] [No]

I have also found the KB article that user "ideFix1505" has kindly pointed out, namely:

VMware KB: Moving virtual machines between resource pools raises the warning: Incorrect CPU percentage

So, I decided to submit today (6 Feb 2012) the "Feature Request" below at http://www.vmware.com/contact/contactus.html?department=prod_request :

Product: VMware vCenter Server

Summary: Please fix a CPU Resource Shares issue existing since 2007 (!) and documented in KB 1018360

Greetings,

There's a bug in VMvware vCenter Server that exists, at least, since 2007 (for VMware Infrastructure 3) and that still exists in vCenter Server 4.1 Update 1(for clusters with hosts running ESX / ESXi 4.1 Update 1) and probably also still exists for 4.1 Update 2.

The bug is documented in VMware KB article 1018360 (last modified / updated on Jan 6, 2012):

VMware KB: Moving virtual machines between resource pools raises the warning: Incorrect CPU percentage

Here is the "Community Discussion" that was started in 2007 about this very bug:

VMware Communities: CPU Resource shares BUG

Please fix this long-standing issue.
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Ricardo Dias Marques
(VCP - VCP4)
Identi.ca / Twitter: @ricmarques

I also entered a similar note in the "feedback" text area for the KB article page - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1018360 - Let's see if this helps! :smileyconfused:

Maybe it's a good idea if other users also ask for the same "feature request"? Hint! Hint! Smiley Wink

Cheers,

Ricardo

Ricardo Dias Marques - http://twitter.com/ricmarques
0 Kudos
HariRajan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Still this issue exist , verified & reproduced in vSphere 5.5 update 2 .

VMware Team : what is the update of this ?!

Thanks & Regards in Plenteous . Hari Rajan
0 Kudos
aakalan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

still exist in vCenter 6.0 U3c

0 Kudos