VMware Cloud Community
teksup88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

CPU Architecture Requirements for vCSrv5

Hi all

We currently have vMware4(ESX) with 3 Windows vms on a Dell T410. (2 x Xeon® E5520 2.26 GHz Quad Core Processor)

We have ESXi5 on two new Dell R420. (2 x Xeon® E52430 2.20 GHz Six Core Processor)

I am installing vCSrv5 on an older server to manage the transitions to the new vMware5

In Lowe's book he notes the CPU architecture and such has to be very similar to use functions like vMotion with vCSrv5.

I would like to do things like copy our Srv/Exch03 vm from the ESX4 to the new ESXi5 using vMotion.

This way I can setup a second vm with Srv08 and Exch2010 in ESXi and migrate from Srv/Exch03 in a test environment.

Will this hardware scenario support this?

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will have to enable EVC on the  cluster - this doc will tell you if the two CPU will work - VMware KB: Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) processor support

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will have to enable EVC on the  cluster - this doc will tell you if the two CPU will work - VMware KB: Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) processor support

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
teksup88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great I checked that out it was very helpful

0 Kudos