MarcLaflamme1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CIP no longer works in FF/Chrome

Windows 10 v1607

Chrome 58
Firefox 53

vSphere Server Appliance 6.0.0.30200 Build Number 5326079

Used to be working but ever since browser updates, I am unable to get CIP working. It's either not recognized as being installed or if it does try to run it crashes. Also triggers additional popup regarding updating SSL cert in Firefox.

vmware-csd.exe - Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018). Click OK to close the application.

The VMware Client Integration Plugin has update its SSL certificate in Firefox. Please restart Firefox

I've tried to install different versions of the CIP (obtained from the link from within vCenter --> About, from VMware website), and have also tried installing plugin by the direct installer (extracted from the parent installer), can't seem to get anything to work.

Also can't find any recent threads on this, only from a while ago. (I can't be the only one!)

Would gladly use the HTML5 client but haven't upgraded to 6.5 yet.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kbulgrien4freed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

See this blog for a potentially relevant Firefox workaround that worked for me:

https://virtualnomadblog.com/2017/06/19/vsphere-6-0-the-vmware-client-integration-plugin-has-updated...

I had this issue, and I installed the Firefox 52 ESR version with support for NPAPI through some time in 2018 and the problem was resolved.  I also tried a current version of Edge (it failed), tried IE 11 (it worked), and even Firefox 38 ESR (it worked).  Without using one of the "it worked" browsers, attempting to export an OVF template triggered a problem related to the client integration plug-in.

Why do Java, Silverlight, Adobe Acrobat and other plugins no longer work? | Firefox Help

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Download Firefox Extended Support Release in your language — Mozilla

As a side note, after finding that Firefox 38 ESR worked around the issue, at least on Windows 10, the browser "Launch Application" pop up for the VMware Client Integration Plug-in could trigger the problem.  It seemed that if the "[ ] Remember my choice for vmware-csd links" check box was checked, the problem resurfaced even though a known working version of Firefox was in use.  The same thing was observed for Firefox 52 ESR also.  After checking the checkbox, upon sign-in to vcenter, the "The VMware Client Integration Plugin has update its SSL certificate in Firefox. Please restart Firefox"  would occur, and upon attempting export of an OVF template, "The VMware Client Integration Plugin must be installed to enable OVF functionality ... If installed, refresh the browser and allow access" would occur.  (Refresh did no good).  To resolve this difficulty, it was necessary to go into Firefox Options | Applications, and change the setting for vmware-csd to "Always ask".

0 Kudos