VMware Cloud Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Buy a new server Vmotion compatible with old server

I have a old IBM x3850, it's CPU is Intel Xeon 7110N, i want to buy a new server x3850 M2, i see a lot of model of x3850 M2 in IBM website, which one should i select to ensure vmotion compatibility? anybody have similiar experience?

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

To be 100% sure you have to choose a 7100 series CPU but with evc Cluster this has changed .

In this Doc you will find more information about what models will vmotion with EVC.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1003212&sliceId=1&doc... 0 4854227

General Vmotion compability guide-> http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmotion_info_guide.pdf

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

seems 7110N is not in the EVC support list. but i think EVC just do it AUTOMATICALLY. if there's some difference between CPUs, i can still make them vmotion compatible manually, though not convenient. most important is to find a CPU which less different compare to 7110N.

0 Kudos
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

This ppt is nice to have...and it might give you some quick answers?

-Pål-André

-Pål-André
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, this is what i want.

0 Kudos
SunnyC
Contributor
Contributor

As stated on Intel's website, all of the models for System x3850 should be Vmotion campatible. If you would need further assistance on choose between the different models we have, you can feel free to contact me as I work for IBM.

0 Kudos