VMware Cloud Community
sleepnow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bulk upgrade of VMtools

We'd like to bulk upgrade the VMtools on our servers through the VIClient, but would like to do so without rebooting so that we can schedule that for a later date. Does anyone know the switch (if there is one) to use in Advanced Options that will allow us to supress rebooting?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't think there is a switch for suppressing the reboot on the advanced options, not one that I've seen documented at least.

An alternative method of bulk upgrading is to get hold of the Vmware Tools.msi file and use Windows Installer command lines to suppress the reboot.

If you carry out an interactive VMtools installation on a guest you can copy the msi off of the mounted Virtual CD drive. A sample command line for a silent install would be:

MSIEXEC /i "VMware Tools.msi" /qn /REBOOT="ReallySuppress"

I've used Altiris to deliver the tools en masse with this method.

merse

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't think there is a switch for suppressing the reboot on the advanced options, not one that I've seen documented at least.

An alternative method of bulk upgrading is to get hold of the Vmware Tools.msi file and use Windows Installer command lines to suppress the reboot.

If you carry out an interactive VMtools installation on a guest you can copy the msi off of the mounted Virtual CD drive. A sample command line for a silent install would be:

MSIEXEC /i "VMware Tools.msi" /qn /REBOOT="ReallySuppress"

I've used Altiris to deliver the tools en masse with this method.

merse

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. Create schedulled task and use this script:

server\vmtools\setup.exe /s /v"/qn REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

You must copy VMtools install files to network share "vmtools"

2. Create another schedulled task which will reboot server

0 Kudos
sleepnow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your resposes!

I've tried a few different switches while trying to do it through VIClient with bizarre results (unable to open console to VM, having to restart VC service), so it looks like we'll have to roll out the upgrade the way you guys have mentioned and using switches on the MSI itself. Shame though, surely it would make sense for VMware to implement such a feature.

0 Kudos