VMware Cloud Community
CloserX
Contributor
Contributor

Bug with hardware manager in VC 2.5 U2 and VMServer 2 B2

Hello All,

I has 2 comps. On first I install VMWare Server 2 Beta 2. On second I install VMWare VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 2 build 104263. After that througth web-interface of VMWare Server I created some VMs (that VMs has Virtual Hardware Version equal 7)

After that I run Virtual Center and connect to localhost. Add new datacenter and host(with VMWare Server) and I appear created VMs, but then I try to change VM hardware configuration I see following message:

----

Error

----

The settings for this virtual machine (<my virtual machine name>) cannot be edited. The hardware version for this virtual machine is not compatible with this version of the VI Client.

To reconfigure the VMs, it is required to use either the host's web interface or a version of VI Client that is compatible with the hardware version of the VM.

----

OK

-

Then I try to run VM I see message:

----

Error

----

The host '<my host with VMWare Server>' does not support the virtual hardware version of virtual machine.

----

OK

----

Also I create new VM throught Virtual Center and appear that this VM has Virtual Hardware Version equal 4(!!!) and I can run that VM throught VirtualCenter, but then I upgrage that VM to 7 version I appear errors that described above.

What can I do for resolve that problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

VC 2.5 can not currently add vmware server 2.0 hosts and manage them successfully, as far as I know. This was the case with Update 1, and I don't believe it has changed.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
CloserX
Contributor
Contributor

Before that I used VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 1 (I have only one problem with creation new VM) and that version can run VM (7(!!!) hardware version) on VMWare Server 2 Beta 1&2. Now I can create new VM without problem, but can't run "old" (7 version) VMs through Virtual Center.

Which version of hardware using ESX and ESXi now?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi/ESX are creating VMs with these settings -

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

0 Kudos
Closer1983
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dave.

If VirtualCenter doesn't support VMWare Server it should deny connection to VMWare Server, but now VirtualCenter can do it. Therefore I think that VirtualCenter should work fine with VMWare Server hardware.

My be you know how can I submit that bug for VirtualCenter Team?

Thanks

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

They do share some similarities in the API. I've been able to do similar things, such as manage running vm's on server, but ran into issues when trying to perform actions, sometimes on random actions. For example, I was able to connect, but couldn't poweron/poweroff a vm. I was able to see the vm, start it, and then not have a console. This is inherently the problem with software that is not "supported". Now, the issue of denying the connections or not, is something that vmware should consider, but it appears this may be a future value-add. For now, it may work, but is not supported, so is neither guaranteed to work, nor tested, nor guaranteed not to work.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos