VMware Cloud Community
tandrist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bringing new VCenter 4.1 x64 server online, best practices

We currently are running a VCenter Server 4.0 and in order to upgrade to 4.1 I need to set it up on a different x64 server.

What is the best practice in doing this? Can I leave the 4.0 server online and bring the new 4.1 VCenter server online as well. Running both servers untill I can confirm all is well with 4.1, then uninstall ver. 4.0 off the old server?

OR, do I need to down the old server first, then install and configure the new server? I am assuming that nothing needs to be transferred off the ver. 4.0 server prior to shutting it down?

What is the best/easieist way to do this?

Thanks in advance, Tandrist

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Check out chapter 3 of the Upgrade Guide for very specific details on the procedure. kb 1022104 also has some good information.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

You cannot use two vCenter Server instances using the same database.

If you don't care to re-configure all the vCenter Server settings, you can run both instances of vCenter Server at the same time, but using different databases.

I have some questions:

Do you have the database on the same server of vCenter Server?

Do you want to preserve the current vCenter Server settings?

I'll assume both of questions are true, so the steps to make the upgrade are:

- Stop the Virtual Center Service on the current vCenter Server.

- Make a backup of the databases and SSL certs. The changes made for Database Upgrade cannot be reversed.

- On the new server restore de SSL certs.

- Restore the database on the new server.

- On the new server create a system DSN pointing to database of vCenter Server. The DSN must be on 64 bits

- Install vCenter Server. When you be asked, select the DSN you just created.

- The wizard ask for upgrade the database schema in order to be compatible with the release 4.1 of vCenter Server.

- When the wizard ends, the vCenter Server will be working using the Database you have selected.

If the database is on a different server (a dedicated database server), the steps to make the upgrade are:

- Stop the Virtual Center Service on the current vCenter Server.

- Make a backup of the databases and SSL certs. The changes made for Database Upgrade cannot be reversed.

- On the new server restore de SSL certs.

- On the new server create a system DSN pointing to database of vCenter Server on the remote database server. The DSN must be on 64 bits

- Install vCenter Server. When you be asked, select the DSN you just created.

- The wizard ask for upgrade the database schema in order to be compatible with the release 4.1 of vCenter Server.

- When the wizard ends, the vCenter Server will be working using the Database you have selected.

About the SSL certs, vCenter uses a self-signed SSL certificate which you have to backup when you prepare an upgrade process. This only applies if you are going to change the server o reinstall the OS.

You have to copy the SSL certificates that are on the vCenter Server. The default location of the SSL certificates is "installation location\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL". If you don't find the SSL certs, try this location:

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL\"

In Windows 2008, you have to restore the SSL Certs on this location:

"C:\Users\All Users\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL"

The task is just copy the cert files from the old server, and paste them on the new server.

Check out the Upgrade Guide from VMware Documentation:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf

The steps you need to follow are quite similar to the chapter 5: "Upgrade to vCenter Server on a Different Machine and Upgrade the Existing Database"

Regards / Saludos

-

Patricio Cerda !http://www.images.wisestamp.com/linkedin.png!

VMware VCP-410

Join to Virtualizacion en Español group in Likedin

See My Blog

See My Linkedin Profile

-

Si encuentras que esta o cualquier otra respuesta ha sido de utilidad, vótalas. Gracias.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos