VMware Cloud Community
Yanuar_Lie
Contributor
Contributor

Blank screen after login into Windows Server after conversion

Two days ago i converted one of my physical server to virtual machine using standalone converter. This particular server running Windows Server 2008 R2 with microsoft exchange.

The conversion proceed smoothly with default setting (i did uncheck "Remove System Restore"). I tried to turn on the virtual machine, open console, and as usual, the Windows logo starts rolling and i get into logon screen, but here comes the problem...

I get into desktop but my console just show blank screen, no start button, no taskbar, and nothing in my desktop, not even a recycle bin icon exist in my desktop!

I patch my screenshot of this blank desktop screen for you below.

BLANKCONSOLE.jpg

I tried to restart the vm and even try to re-convert but no luck, it's still the same problem everytime i log in to my server.

Is there something i can do to fix this ? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Issues like this are often caused by hardware related drivers and services. Are you able to access the VM with an RDP session?

Maybe booting the VM into "Save Mode" will allow you to login and uninstall any hardware drivers and services.

André

Yanuar_Lie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, andre. I think the problem already solved. I can't remote to the the vm during that time, but a few days ago i tried to power off the virtual machine and clone it to another one. The clone working fine unlike the original vm. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos