VMware Cloud Community
curioso
Contributor
Contributor

Blade Server vs Stand-alone Server for VirtualCenter Installation

Hi All,

Probably this is a dump question..

But were kind of debating as to which server platform, Blade Server or Stand-alone Server, is the best to install the VirtualCenter.

We have six Blade Servers all running ESX Server 3.5. Now I want to know which server platform would you recommend my VirtualCenter to be installed, is it on another Blade Server or a Stand-alone Server? In terms of VC high availability and redundancy, Blade Server or Stand-alone Server?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Personally, I would install VC away from the ESX installations so that would mean a seperate chassis to where your existing 6 ESX hosts are. In my opinion, with VC being quite a crucial part to a VI setup - should say said blade chasis have issues that result in all blades becoming unavailable - VC would also be affected by this, and not be able to react accordingly such as alerting or vMoition or what ever.

I suppose in the event that you had VC running on a dedicated blade which simply has Windows Server installed directly on with local storage then this would definately do the job. However, as I say personally I am very inclined to have VC as a seperate entity away from the ESX platforms simply for a redundancy and performance point of view.

There has always been discussions about having VC running as a VM itself which I have always stayed well away from, as in principal that wouldn't be to sensible due to licensing server etc.

Hope that makes sense? 😛

P.

0 Kudos
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

in terms of HA and reliability, I don't think it makes much difference. Other factors are more likely to influence your choice.

Have you considered running VC in a VM? That would give you even higher levels of availability than a physical server?

0 Kudos
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chris_S_UK - out of interest, is running VC as a VM within an VI setup something you have done, do or come across? Not having done this myself, I would of thought that should the host with hosts the VC VM was to disappear.. that any DRA/HA wouldn't occur as VC would be responsible for initiating the commands to do so...

P.

-

EDIT: infact, that is the case - so would really runninb VC as a VM be a good idea? 😛

Message was edited by: piercelynch

0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Of course, someone had to muddy the waters by mentioning virtualizing VC Smiley Wink

Going back to original question, I would like to know what specifically is the difference between running a system on a blade or a standalone unit? I'm always curious why folks running blade infrastructures feel it is necessary to denote so. They're the same thing... you have CPU, Memory, IO, Network. Period.

You must have blades for a reason, I would look at your decision to run blades in the first place. Obviously there is some reasoning there which may influence / dictate what you do moving forward.

hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

P - many folks do so. FYI - HA does not rely on VC once configured, so the VC VM will be recovered on an alternate host. There are gobs of threads here in the forums debating the pros/cons of doing so, with each side having very valid points.

0 Kudos
curioso
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

I think running VC on a Stand-Alone Server (non-Blade) won't make any advantage on running it on a Blade Server.

By the way, just to clarify with the other guys, I'm not Virtualiazing (VC on VM) the VC. I'm just thinking on where to install it, Non-Blade Server or a Blade Server, since all of my ESX Servers are running on a Blade Servers.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Indeed.. my fault there for going off topic on the whole VC as a VM debate... but if you are not doing that, then no there is really no difference. I agree with the idea mention regarding the use of bladecenters etc... but I think in this case it comes down to personal opinion really. Would you utilise your blade hardware better this way, than adding another physical unit to your rack? Do you have the space and the resources etc?

I personally, as I said, wouldn't have VC on the same chassis as the ESX hosts... but I am just funny like that 😛 I would just sleep better at night knowing that VC is on a seperate chassis, on different networks ports (maybe even different switch and power phase etc) ...

I don't think your go wrong sticking it on a dedicated blade (as its not a VM)... I am just picky!

P.

0 Kudos