VMware Cloud Community
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Best way to patch VCSA, through the VAMI or ISO cd mount

Hi. We are getting ready to move from v6.5U2 to U3, we were stuck on U2 for awhile due to old NSX dependencies.

I remember last time I patched I got bit by that bug where disconnecting the CDROM iso hung the box. I actually have never patched through the VAMI, because up until recently our vCenters were in HA mode and we could not patch via the VAMI.

Is the VAMI patching reliable? I have seen some threads where the screen goes blank and your left wondering when to reboot. But I am fearful of that cd connect bug again.

So just looking for some comments. Thanks,,,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I always recommend downloading the patch ISO file and attaching it to the vCSA directly. This gives you two main benefits over doing an Internet-based download:

• Allows you to verify the integrity of the patch
  • Gives the appliance direct access to the needed bits

I remember the problem you mentioned but I think that was resolved before those versions. Always snapshot before doing upgrades/updates!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

.. I got bit by that bug where disconnecting the CDROM iso hung the box.

I too ran into this. What happened is that the ESXi host paused the VM, waiting for someone to answer a question. It was about forcefully removing the CD-ROM from the VM, because the CD-ROM drive was locked by the OS. Since taht time I always open a client session to the ESXi host on which the vCSA runs, to be able to answer that question in case it comes up.

That question usually also shows up in a vCenter client session. However, since in this special case, it's the vCSA that gets paused, this won't happen.

André

0 Kudos
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you. So every time I apply the latest photonOS patch for v6.5U3j, the VCSA VM powers off shortly after I diconnect the CD. Every time in our lab. It does not happen with any previous patches.

This is why I was asking about the VAMI. I also noticed that if we wanted to do a custom VAMI repo, we can only get the VCSA repo zip, the photonOS seem to be iso only which I guess makes sense.

So anyway, anyone experience these issues with the latest ISO v6.5U3j? This is why I am looking at VAMI patching.

0 Kudos
batuhandemirdal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Isn't it better if you throw the current datastore?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

batuhandemirdal

What are you referring to with "Isn't it better if you throw the current datastore?"

It seems as if you accidentally posted the reply to the wrong thread!?

André

0 Kudos