VMware Cloud Community
Chopper3
Contributor
Contributor

Best Practice for vApp with DHCP & DNS

I have a production platform with a number of vSphere (4.1, VC, ESXi) farms - this is all fine but I need some offshore test teams to have mini versions of these platforms (i.e. no clustering, just a functional rig).

I'm buying them a single (quite well spec'ed) host per site preloaded with a single VC VM. What I want to do is send them a big USB disk each containing a .OVF file with a complete vApp inside. So they'll start with, for illustrative purposed, v1.0 of our vApp then later I can send them v2.0 and they can deploy that vApp and put v1.0 to sleep, deleting later.

This is all fine but I'm wondering what do do about DNS registration, obviously VC has 'IP Pools' which as far a I know is just a simple DHCP service for the vSwitches/Port-Groups but I would like a nice reliable way of ensuring that once the vApp brings up the various VMs that they not only get IP's from an IP Pool (or from a Windows DHCP server if that's better) but they also register themselves on one (internal) DNS service or another.

My VMs are Windows Server 2003 SP2 EE 32-bit, Windows Server 2003 SP2 EE 64-bit, Window Server 2008 SP2 EE 64-bit and RHEL 5.3/5.5 64-bit if this helps.

What would be your suggestions?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
0 Replies