Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Basic Question- Vcenter Server does not see any clients

Hi,

Windows 7 host w/ Vcenter Server 4.1

VM Workstation 7.1

ESXi4.1

Laptop PC is using VM Workstation for a portable lab for my ownn training benefit.  My company has licensing but I need to figure that out so i am in evaluation mode with seemingly all features.

I have the lab up including open filer storage.  When I go to theweb access of vcenter server i expected to see all my VM's- there is practically no fuctionality there- most everythign is grayed out as shown in the attachement.

I do nto see ways on the client to fix this so I am at a loss.  Under the Summary tab there is a link to allow the VM to be manageed thru VCeneter but that is just a link to the vcenter download

Any help much appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, the UI has very limited functionality beyond simple power functions of your guests.  You will need to setup/configure/manage your VI using the vSphere Client.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what do you see when you connect using the vSphere Client?  You should atleast see your DataCenter under the Datacenter foler with folders/vms below.

0 Kudos
Newbie2007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not see a datacenter folder in the client, only in the server- the sever looks like the attached

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

use the vSpher Client to connect, not the UI, atleast for this troubleshooting step.  If you don't have the vSphere Client, point you web browser to the IP address of your vCenter Host and download and install it.

0 Kudos
Newbie2007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

I am using the client- see attached- there is no datastor in the client that i see, only in the vcenter server

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you are connecting to your ESXi Host,not vCenter. Plus all I see is a host, no guests. So, what you see in the UI is exactly what you see in the fat client.

What is the problem?

0 Kudos
Newbie2007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My error- i would assume that loggin into vcenter server via the web would allow configuration.  Apparently the cleint does all aspects

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, the UI has very limited functionality beyond simple power functions of your guests.  You will need to setup/configure/manage your VI using the vSphere Client.

0 Kudos